Beetle Virus

Hi all,

Since i'm back on this NG i get a lot of spam mail an a huge amount of Viruses by E-mail. I like to agree that i'm infected with the aircooled virus, but this is too much. I have a new computer (the old one wouldn't let me on any NG anymore and needed to be upgraded) with one of the latest Virusscanner and Firewall, so i'm pretty protected(?).... for now. Is there a way to get rid of these spammail but most of all the viruses? I cant imagine i'm the only one who is dealing with this problem. I also know this toppic is on somewhere else in the NG. But is there a way to make me invisable for those virus sending Scum? I already have a spamfilter on the server but it looks like they can't keep up. Someone told me to use a hotmail but then how can i get on this NG?

Any ideas would be appreciated

Roger

Reply to
Bug59

...............My strategy is to never open any attachments without knowing the sender and looking at 'properties' to see if their outgoing mail gets filtered. All mail from anyone that I don't know gets deleted without being opened. I get a fair amount of spam but not so much that I can't get rid of

24 hours worth in about 30 seconds or less. So far, I haven't been infected for at least the past 6 months except for one time when I accidentally loaded some spyware. My oldest kid is a computer science major who cleansed it for me when I threatened to stop buying him any more gasoline or Coca-Cola (the staples of life for a 20 year old).
Reply to
Tim Rogers

In case you're infected with the latest...

Alternatively I would think that if you changed/altered your e-mail address in News, then it might make you *invisible* for receiving spam/viruses?

And lastly, have you heard about the latest **Amish Virus**? It goes as follows:

You have just received the Amish Virus. As we don't have any electricity, computers or programming experience, this virus works on the honor system. Please delete all of the files from your hard drive and then forward this virus to everyone on your mailing list.

GaryT

Reply to
GaryT

Well if i should change my E-mail address it would just be a matter of (short) time to be traced again I never save my password when logging in, so my id # changes every time. I've not yet been infected but i think it's just waiting to happen.

About the *Amish Virus* don't they have a horse and wagon instead of a car? So i probably won't find that one here :-))

Roger

"GaryT" schreef in bericht news:49SSb.196498$xy6.1012567@attbi_s02...

Reply to
Bug59

I believe GaryT meant change your email address *in your newsgroup posts*, not change your real email address. I've seen many email addresses in newsgroup posts which have something changed or inserted in them to 1) make them invalid if emailed to as-is, and 2) can be easily spotted by a human and reverted back to a valid email address if desired. This is because many spammers use email adress harvesting programs that just grab whatever email address is provided. So by changing your newsgroup post email address, you'd be circumventing these email address harvesters.

Personally, I never do that. Never have either, and I've been on the Internet since before Steve Case polluted it with all those AOLamers! ;-) And I've never had much of a problem with spam. Not one I could not spot and delete by hand! ;-) Keeps me knowing my email is working, yano? Whenever I log in, of I don't have any email, it's probably not working, cause spam is eternal! Hee hee!

John Kuthe...

Bug59 wrote:

Reply to
John Kuthe

Ok, thanx, I did this part, and now lets hope i did it right. This RE will make it clear... Thanks all,

Roger

"John Kuthe" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net...

spam/viruses?

Reply to