Beware BFY obsolete parts

To anyone looking for VW parts on the net I do not recommend BFY Obsolete Parts. I have ordered from them several times in the past for my 63 and never had a problem, this time though was a pretty bad experience. Placed an order back in September to rewire my 68, didnt hear anything back for a week so I called and was told some items were back ordered but they had the wire harness, I asked them to go ahead and ship the harness so I could get started, they did so and I was told the only other thing outstanding was the hood cable sheath and that it would be in "next week". Over the past 5 weeks I have called and asked for status, still no sheath, last week I called and spoke to the owner and was told all that was outstanding was the fuse block and that he would have it tomorrow and ship my order, called back the next day and was told the sheath was still back ordered, spoke to the owner again and instructed him to cancel anything that was outstanding and ship the items they had. 4 days later, today I called and canceled the entire order, I will be looking for a refund in the next 24 hours or I will be contacting my credit card company to report fraud. I was a dickweed for letting it go on this long but thought others should be aware that what they tell you about your order cannot be trusted. There is a huge thread on Samba about the same experiences others are having,

I had seen that before I ordered. Something is going on at thatcompany. Good news story is I turned around and ordered the same stuff from Wolfsburg West at 4PM PST, at 5:58PM I got a fedex tracking number and the package is already on the way, I selected standard shipping. Night and day difference between the two companies.

Reply to
fixer33

Yep, BFY has some seriously bad mojo going on right now. I wonder what happened to them, they used to be pretty good. Apparently they like to lie about what's in stock. If you read that whole Samba thread (or at least the last 5 or 6 pages) it is starting to smell like a sinking ship. Don't think I would gamble with my money to find out. In this day and age if you can't provide an automated tracking number for internet purchases you really are in the bush league. Think I'll stick with the reputable sellers. Hell, even if you got lucky and received your purchase in a timely fashion you'd be supporting people that are screwing other VW enthusiasts. I'll pass.

Reply to
Leopold Stotch

Unfortunately i had a bad experience as well. I ordered 2 bumpers for my 73 super at the end of May 08. They immediately charded my credit card for them. A month later, no bumpers, so i called. They got back to me a few days later and told me there was a hold on a part i had on the order, and if i wished to delete that item they could get the bumpers out right away. I agreed to this. Another month passed, no bumpers, so i left another message. Same result. I finally received them the end of September, BUT THEY CHARGED ME FOR THEM AT THE END OF MAY! That was poor business practice.....they could have kept me updated via email or anything and all would have been well. Heck, if i did not keep calling them I bet i still would not have my order.

Reply to
vgonman

Hold on a second. It is quite possible that the source for certain quality ACVW parts has hit the economic wall where scarcity has kicked in and all retailers will have trouble.

For years I purchased from John at aircooled.net and, of course, all went very well, but even John is having trouble finding at least one part that I desperately need. It has been back-ordered for at least four months, probably longer.

So maybe it is time to re-evaluate what's happening for the makers of relatively low-demand, high-quality parts.

Stephanie of aircooled.net shared this excellent explanation with me.

"Due to the age of the vehicles that we supply parts for, and the fact that the parts for aircooled VWs in many cases are no longer manufactured by the original company that supplied them, it is unfortunately common for items to become difficult to acquire and/or no longer available, and then at some point suddenly become available again. We do our best to provide ongoing "acquisition service" for customers who are in need of the items, but we are not always successful. -- Stephanie, aircooled.net"

We have entered the real of scarcity!

Reply to
John J

And it is only going to get worse as the aircooled scene dwindles. In the end you will only find resto parts made in very small quantities, by dedicated individuals charging your gold fillings..

J.

Reply to
P.J.Berg

That's understood, but it shouldn't be difficult to indicate on such retail websites when an item is in stock or if it must be ordered. If it must be ordered there really should be a way for the customer to check the status of the order - still searching, long wait, whatever. Just some simple automated feedback goes a long way.

Reply to
Michael Cecil

I have had good experiences with cip1.com. But I have never ordered a GEX engine or an Empi carb from them. I have been warned to avoid these manufacturers. I have had some delays with the smaller online companies. I am going to keep my '73 Beetle until the bitter end even if I mostly use it for going to the grocery on weekends.

Reply to
Jim347a

True. At aircooled.net the part is still shown as "Usually Ships: same or next day". It ain't available. It should say that.

Reply to
John J

Understand the scarcity issue but I don't think scarcity has anything to do with this. I found the same parts at other sites within 5 minutes and those sites actually said whether the items were in stock or not. It is basic customer service to inform you if something is going to have a really long lead time, and why hold up 10 other items you have in stock because of one thing you cant get? After the customer has asked you not to? or give two different stories about what they were waiting for. Something is up with that company. In this case it is probably more likely that many suppliers are no longer willing to do business with them if they treat them the same as paying customers. If you review the last few pages of the samba thread, it is a pattern of behavior that started in the last year or so.

Reply to
fixer33

I've never had a problem with them but the last order seems to be taking a long time. One part is fairly rare and, after I asked about the status, was told it wasn't in stock. The second item was going to be shipped separately so I could keep going but haven't seen that yet either. It will arrive eventually - there's no doubt in my mind.

Regardless, I'll cut them slack and continue to support them because they took care of me before and would hate to see them close their doors.

Reply to
Remco

Regardless of the scarcity of the parts, it is illegal (an immoral) for a company to represent that the parts are in stock and charge a customer's credit card at the time of the order and then actually ship the parts months (6 months is not unheard of) later.

All ACVW parts sellers are essentially selling parts from the same sources. None the less, it is BFY that we consistently hear complaints from, not the other companies in the same business. But feel free, if you want to take a gamble place an order. As for me, if I want to gamble I'll go to Vegas. As least when I loose my money there I'll get a dinner and a show.

Reply to
Leopold Stotch

CPI.COM just confirmed my order for the parts aircooled.net could not deliver for over four months. The parts should be here in a few days.

_IF_ the parts are what I ordered, then we gotta ask, WTF is up with aircooled.net?

Reply to
John J

Let us make this perfectly clear: aircooled.net does not charge against a credit card for something until an item ships.

Is that perfectly fracking clear? Are we good there?

Reply to
John J

Let me make it perfectly clear - When I posted the above quoted text I was speaking of BFY. A reading of the entire text of my original message should make that clear.

Reply to
Leopold Stotch

I am also speaking only of BFY, never had an issue with aircooled.net, Remco, I felt exactly as you do, I used them almost exclusively for the rebuild of our 63 18 months ago and it went great, that is why I let it go too long, if I were you I would start asking questions about your order and do some checking on other sites to see if what you are waiting on is in stock. If it was just me I would chalk it up to my bad luck but it looks like many other people are waiting a long time on orders that they have already paid for.

Reply to
fixer33

OMG!

The items that aircooled has back-ordered for months - well, I went to cip1.com and they claimed to have them. I ordered them. They shipped the same day. Now let's see if I get what I ordered.

Something ain't going well for aircooled.net.

Reply to
John J