Bleeding brakes

Bled my '79 super brake lines a few different times but always end up with same problem! Pedel goes all the way to floor. Must be leak somewhere. Any specific places to look, and what to look for? Still learning. Thanks

Reply to
FKVDUB

...did you adjust the brakes first? try backing adjusting screw out till they cannot go any furthur and see if it helps...as far as leak...well there are many potentail places...most common is the line that runs through the interior along the tunnel...are your floors wet under the mats? Also...is your fluid level dropping? If not...then your problem is likely the master cylinder..

..Gareth

Reply to
Gary Tateosian

Can you rent a power-bleeder?

Reply to
jjs

Have any components been replaced? New master cylinders need to be bench-bled, see service manual.

Master cylinders can leak quite a lot of fluid that will collect in the bulkhead area and eventually drain from the front or rear hole in the spine. Try jacking up the front or rear of the car (rear would be better coz the fluid will have less distance to travel, and do less damage to paint inside the spine).

=================================

" ..... I ain't no bandleader!!"

Reply to
Jack Woltz

Thanks Jack, there was fluid dripping from a hole under the center/middle of car.The master cylinder does not look wet. How does it leak into the spine? Is the master easy to replace? Thanks again!!

Reply to
FKVDUB

The master cyl. will look perfectly dry from the outside, looking behind the driver's side wheel. The fluid leaks out of the rear of the MC, in the bulkhead area. You might want to try removing the carpet, floor mat, etc. where the pedals are, and you will get a better idea how the MC can leak and then fluid drips from the front or rear holes in the spine, coz it's difficult to explain.

So, it sounds like you need a new MC, which will need to be bench-bled prior to install. You should get a bentley manual ($30+/-), available from just about all the mail order places, maybe even amazon. the 2nd "economy" option is the haynes manual, which is under $20 and is available in borders, barnes/noble, pep boys, etc. in stock. Either of these books will also have factory shots of the floor pan/bulkhead area where the MC bolts in, and you will get a better idea of how the fluid leaks undetected, etc.

You will also need to rinse out the spine & bulkhead area w/ alcohol, lacquer thinner, or acetone to remove the brake fluid residue and then coat with some kind of paint to prevent rust. I used rustoleum primer that was thinned down and it seems to have worked pretty well.

=================================

" ..... I ain't no bandleader!!"

Reply to
Jack Woltz

Reply to
Braukuche

Hmm... Perhaps bench bleeding is strictly not necessary, but it is certainly strongly recommended.

I have installed a few non-VW MCs where the service manual said bench bleeding is a must, so I did it. Those brake jobs turned out fine.

But when I replaced the MC on my 1971 SB, the manual I had at the time didn't mention bench bleeding, so I did not bother thinking it must not be necessary due the VW MC's design.

After several attempts at bleeding, I could not get a firm, steady pedal. So I removed the MC, bench bled it, re-installed & bled the system, and was rewarded with a firm, hard pedal.

If you are working alone, the hassle of removing & re-installing the VW MC can be avoided by bench bleeding first. Of course, it is one's own choice, and results may vary, but based on my experience this is how I would proceed.

=================================

" ..... I ain't no bandleader!!"

Reply to
Jack Woltz

Exactly right.

Bench bleeding is not necessary on VWs and only makes the job more messy. This subject has been covered here many times.

Yes, good advice.

The very best "solvent" you can find for standard brake fluid is water.

-

Jim Adney

In that case you must have also done something else differently. There's nothing special about a 71 that would make bench bleeding useful.

-

Jim Adney