Blowin' a fuse

Hi all,

I just installed my hands free kit for the mobile phone in my 1978 Type 2. I used fuse No 10 which the Bentley manual lists as the whipers, phone kit works a treat but now fuse 12 (16amp) blows and I don't have indicators or warning lights. When I replace the fuse it blows again as soon as I turn the ignition to on.

Now I know I've done something stupid, but I have no idea what. I honestly never went near fuse 12 except with the circuit tester checking for a switched active.

When it blew the first time there was a click, click, click like a relay chattering which stopped when the fuse went, so I removed the second relay can (viewed from the front of the fuse panel inside the cab, and the fuses still blow but no more "clicking".

H E L P !

The Bay from Oz! John

Reply to
Smegggg (John)

It sounds like it is time for Speedy Jim's Electrical Page

Sleepy Joe

Sorry, nothing much on my web site that will help in this case:-(

But, a hunch......... Fuse #12 feeds the speedo warning lights and ALSO the flasher relay via the 4-way Hazard switch. My hunch is that something in the Hazard switch got disturbed whilst working up in there.

Those switches have been known to fall apart internally, creating havoc. At the worst, you may have to take the switch along with its wiring out.

One test which may shed some light is to remove the Blk wire from Term #15 on the Hazard switch. See if the fuse blows.

You can also try pushing/pulling the switch a few times to see if that has an effect.

Process of elimination.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

Oh, er, ah, yes, about that 4-way hazard switch.....

(I'd get a LARGE scotch about now if I were you)

The previous owner of my 1st aircooled delight was, shall we say, frugal with the repairs. According to the workshop docket that came with all the various paperwork in the Kombi there was some sort of problem with the indicators. The fault was traced to the 4-way switch, and the solution was "Remove It". Hence there is one red wire, taped up separately, and the rear terminal plate of the afore mentioned "Removed" switch with all the other wires still connected gravitating in the dash.

So from your advice me thinks it is the best starting point.

Thanks for the advice, and YES your page was my first stop it's great help.

Cheers,

The Bay From Oz

John

Reply to
Smegggg (John)

Thanks to Speedy Jim and some insulation tape around the remains of the Hazard Switch, no more blown/blowing fuses. and BTW the hands-free kit works a treat too!

THANKS SJ!

The Bay from Oz!

78 Rusty Bay
Reply to