Body off - body support?

Hi all

I've been thinking of a way to get the body off my bug. I know I could just lift it off with a couple of friends and put it on sawhorses. It is just hard to get friends together at a very specific time. Looking at how to replace the heater channels, it looks like the body has to be test fitted on the frame several times. (I've never done this before also want to keep my friends in the process :)

The idea was that I have to be able to lift the body by myself at will and be able to hover it over the pan withing 1/2 inch or so. This way frequent alignment will be less of a pain.

I like building fixtures so built this "body lift", built out of dimensional lumber and will post some pictures eventually. This is how it works: Envision two (front and back) very strong saw horses where the cross members can move up and down by means of two threaded rods. Depending on the turning direction of these rods, the cross member moves up or down. The rear is built and ready to go. With an air wrench, the back can be lifted up in minutes, high enough to clear the rear wheel. With two of these contraptions (front and back) one just has to be careful to raise each corner gradually so the body raises evenly.

The body sits on top of this cross member, just under the spot where the bumper mount is bolted to the body. It'll probably be secured by chaining the cross member to the bumper mount bolt holes for safety but it won't be supported this way.

Is this a good spot to support the body? It looks structurally sound. Or would it be best to bring it back down and sit it on something else?

Thanks for any suggestions. Remco

Reply to
Remco

You can actually lift the body yourself, one end at a a time, not too heavy..

J.

Reply to
P.J. Berg

Thanks -- Yeah, I've tried that and it worked fine for getting it off. It isn't that heavy, you're right.

I was really interested in bringing the body down and letting it sit maybe a cm above the pan. This way I can align everything properly without pissing my friends off while they are holding it up :)

Reply to
Remco

Cool beer is the lubricant for many things :) I have a t-shirt that says "will work for beer" and my friends have taken me up on it: They have gotten decks and additions built, basements finised, kitchens redone, plumbing installed and their electrical rewired by offering me beer - Come to my house, Joao, and I'll be happy to offer you beer too. Just let me know what you drink :)

Maybe it sounds more complicated than it really is -- it took about an hour to build one side with some 2x6 and 2x3 lumber. I'll post some pictures so you get an idea.

I was really more worried about where to support the body from when it is off. Using the current idea, it is supported by basically the corners, just within in the wheelwell area.

Remco

Reply to
Remco

If you have cool beer on the garage maybe it can help you friends to hold the body, but not on the alignment it. The other solution looks a bit complicated

Joao

Joao Eliseu

Hi Remco.

I have my super body 'hung' above the chassis. Its easy then to jack the chassis up to meet the body !

Rich

Remco wrote:

Reply to
tricky

You seen John Henry's site? Reviewing this page might give you some ideas:

He didn't run into any problems supporting the body like I think you're suggesting.

Reply to
Seth Graham

Thanks - that's very useful! I had not seen that particular page. Very interesting.. I see he uses a

2x4 in the wheelwell to keep the thing up. I'll be fine, then - when you see the pictures, you'll see why (my stand is wickedly overdesigned :)
Reply to
Remco

Hey Rich

Yeah, I could see how that would work really well.

I considered hoisting the thing up in my garage, except I didn't want to tie my garage up like that because it is used for woodworking as well. Since I have no idea how long this might take me, it had to be move-able as well (forgot to mention that in my first post).

My stand has removable casters so I can roll it out of the way - Most my stuff rolls around for that reason.

Remco

Reply to
Remco

yeah got that problem myself ! I need to use the shop for woodwork but cant ! been working outside in good weather.

got pc trouble too so will keep my posts short (keeps crashing)

Rich

Remco wrote:

Reply to
tricky

you could build a jig 'inside' the car, off the tunel. jack the body up from inside. roll the whole car out when you need space.

Rich

Remco wrote:

Reply to
tricky

you could make some saw horses like on the bugme vids but lower, and on wheels so you could roll the body around.

Rich

Remco wrote:

Reply to
tricky

Yap -- that's basically what it is but taller and the cross member moves up and down. I took some pictures last Friday. Now that I am home, here they are. (Since you're having PC problems, I hope you can download them)

The top cross member is static - there for stability. The bottom cross member moves. It normally slides under the car's body. I don't intend to take the doors or the glass out so it will be heavyer than John's.

I made a couple of modifications since then: When it reaches the right height, the moveable member is bolted in. Also added another stiffner so there's no way it can rack sideways while lifting - unlikely to happen, but you never know.. It has been nailed together with 3.5" 16d framing nails but now it has

3/8 bolts holding it together too. Beefed up the threaded rod and also made it longer (had miscalculated the length). Also made it so the moveable member can't move sideways anymore. Put removeable wheels on it and may change that yet again so the wheels just flip out of the way with hinges. Also thickness planed the movable member so it can't bind up when it swells (anal, huh?).

Will probably make the front tomorrow and will give it the official try over the next couple of days.

I know: It is over analyzed -- it is a disease in my case and can't help it. Could have done with a 2x4 on some plastic buckets, but where's the fun in that, right :) It may make a really nice adjustable picknic bench seating 100 when it has served its bug purpose. This picnic table you can also park cars on :)

Remco

Reply to
Remco

hold the body,

Reply to
Grahame Rumballe

Looks good !

Make sure you have a way to stop the treaded rod completely unthreading and falling off ! maybe some stops under the bottom cross member for 'min' hight .

Rich

Remco wrote:

Reply to
tricky

Thanks, Grahame and Rich.

I like both your ideas. Enclosing it is a really good idea... The rod now has the nut on the top welded on. The bottom nut (can't see it) has been welded to a plate and the plate is now lagged to the cross member. The bottom of the rod has two nuts jambed with thread locker to make sure it doesn't walk off.

hold the body,

Reply to
remco