Bosch

Vaughn: 2010 Mustang Give Away and Driving Lessons!

Pretty cool website, I know Bosch has some awesome wiper blades and plugs but did not know they supported Drifting.

Pretty cool site.

Reply to
Tuner420

i wouldn't put Bosch plugs in my car if they were given to me... the quality of Bosch has taken such a nosedive it's sad... quit using Bosch plugs 15 years ago when I got bad plug after bad plug right out of the box...

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

Its what I was wondering about a good few posts ago when I,d heard the same thing and that NGK ( I think) were now the best. Plugs have been used for

100 years, how could you c*ck up such a simple design that should be totally sorted?. Particularly after being a leader for so long. John
Reply to
John

I have not used Bosch plugs for 15+ years, much higher failure ratio than NGK, and that straight out of the box!

J.

Reply to
P.J.Berg

my boss still swears by Bosch... I tried to talk some sense into him but nah... :)

Reply to
Jan Andersson

you did say he was old school.... folks get set on something and there's no changing their mind... sometimes that's good... other times, not so good...

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

I've never had a bad NGK out of the box.... I even had good luck with autolite plugs...

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

I'd first consider that I got a bad batch. OTOH, maybe they quit quality control management. That seems unlikely given how cheap it is compared to ruining a reputation.

Reply to
John J

Now I'm getting concerned. You might recall the trouble I went through because the plugs listed for my engine were available only in Bosch, and they were a tiny bit long. Piston pushed the electrode just to the center pole. Then I found the book was wrong and there was another plug thats did fit, once again only in Bosch brand.

I'll find out when I open the garage. Got to rebuild the carbs.

Reply to
John J

I find it very hard to believe that no one else but Bosch makes suitable plugs, could you post what type?

J.

Reply to
P.J.Berg

I think messed up. I don't find any bosh plugs in the garage, and i'd rather not pull a plug right now. The unused plugs are champion L86C. Can you tell I haven't driven the bugs in years?

that's changing because today I rebuilt the carbs for the '58.

Reply to
John J

As you can see here:

The Champion plugs are the same as NGK B6HS, the standard plugs used 'Forever' in the air-cooled T1 engines.

Here you can find the Bosch designation codes:

Ditto for NGK:
Here are conversion charts:

Well, atleast you have one, I sold mine.

J.

Reply to
P.J.Berg

thank you for all that

Sorry to learn that. Any chance of getting another?

Reply to
John J

I know of one Oval for sale in ok shape and ok price, buut no money and no place to store/work on it. :~[

J.

Reply to
P.J.Berg

There really isn't much to a plug. I am confused as to why you guys seem to be having all the failures. (Especially right out of the box.) If it fails out of the box, it was dropped and the seal is gone and/or the porcelain is cracked.

We have been building ACVW through BB 1000 HP engines here for 20+ years and dynoing them. When dynoing, we capture, HP/Torque/Blowby/A:F/CHT, EGT's and more. You are hard pressed to find ANY difference in plugs (certainly not right out of the box) on any dyno runs. (assuming the comparable plug choice.) As far as longevity, there is probably some minor variances. We have used most every brand of plug on our engines (NGK and Bosch for the ACVW's) I have resolution and repeatability to .5 HP and if a customer asked me which plug was better, there is no way I could call it. Even engines boosted with as much as 20psi and proper gapping most any brand name comparable plug works. I have no allegance to Bosch over any of the rmanufacturers but to say they are junk is without any merit at all. If you want to see junk, test their recent Bosch Blue coils. The 009's have been junk for many years. (and the newer Chinese knock-offs are even worse).

As far bad plugs out of the box, I have maybe seen it 2 or 3 times out of several hundred plugs in the last couple years. (But we also don't drop them on the floor.)

Send me some of those bad plugs, I want to see what the failure is.

Jim SR Racing

Reply to
jim

I agree with you, there is no obvious reason a plug should fail out of the box. That said, I have experienced more than 'a few' Bosch plugs being dead out of the box, I am fully aware how a plug is designed, and all logics should say it is not possible to fail out of the box.

They did fail.. As in stone cold dead. This was when I worked on motorcycles and mopeds/scooters. Not only my experience, but also the guy who owned/ran the shop.

I have experienced different failure ratios related to two-stroke go-karting, there you have to relate to 18000rpm's and burning oil.. Anyhow, we used NGK's and never ever had a similar problem when it came to motorcycles and mopeds.

The Bosch plugs had an internal short.

J.

Reply to
P.J.Berg

possible to fail out of the box.

and mopeds/scooters.

there you have to relate to 18000rpm's and burning oil..

motorcycles and mopeds.

I'd say your sample size is too small to make generalizations for or against any brand. Either maker could produce a bad batch. That doesn't necessarily mean you should forego all future purchases from them. If the problem was truly pervasive and continual, there would be more of a grassroots outcry. (Like what happened with the IBM harddrive division before they sold it off.)

Reply to
Michael Cecil

uh... WTF does that really mean? We ain't in Kansas anymore.

Reply to
John J

just guessing here.......... They build some racing engines Air Cooled VolksWagen engines through Big Block (usually Chevy) 1000 HP engines

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

horse shit... how many times do you need to touch the hot eye of a stove before it's enough? I'd say it'd take less touches to satisfy you than it would to satisfy others... this is the case here... you may feel that due to the small sample size it's not representative of the products, but I see it differently.. .If you don't buy them in bulk, or in a short time period then theoretically getting the same products from a "bad batch" is less likely... that said, if you get crap 25-50% of the time, when is enough, enough? for ME it was when a couple other brands offered me 100% good parts out of the box, and Bosch could not... lots of failed bosch ignition parts for me over the years... mainly condensors and plugs... had some sets of points come apart, distributor caps that were crap, rotor buttons with either poor connections at or just plain bad resistors.... now add the things that John stated(cheap distributors and coils, and you have plenty enough to distrust them.... Bosch aint' what they used to be, boys and girls...

how many engines would need to be bought from GEX to consider them less than reputable? how many restorations from Vintage Werks?

Reply to
Joey Tribiani