Bosch

I'd say at least 1000 different users would need to buy both brands of plugs over a number of years from different locations, to be significant, but 10000 users would be far more reliable. Two guys building a couple hundred engines is just too small a sample.

You've never taken a statistics class have you?

Reply to
Michael Cecil

In other words, talking out their ass. Right?

Reply to
John J

Well they probably are talking from experience which could also mean from the seat of their pants! lol

I had read that the "best" spark plugs were the cheap copper. Copper allows electricity to flow very well, but the copper does not last as long as other metals so you would need to change them more often. Also in certain engines that run very lean and hot, they may not be the best choice for longevity.

I have not had any trouble with any spark plugs right out of the box, be they Bosch, AC Delco, Champion, Autolite, NipponD, NGK, etc. It is what happens over time as the engine runs that determines which is the best for that engine. I have taken out more aftermarket Bosch Platinum plugs that were causing running problems than other plugs though.

I prefer Bosch Copper plugs in the air-cooled engines I work on. ;-)

JMHO

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

actually, yes I have... but that's not what is happening here... you are saying that I(or tom, dick, or hairy) can not decide that Bosch plugs are crap because they got multiple bad parts... that's where you are wrong... I can, and DID, decide that years ago based on the parts that *I* bought.... does that prove that the entire Bosch company makes nothing but crap? Nope, and don't pretend it does, but it does mean that as long as there are other alternatives, Bosch can kiss my rosey red ass when it comes to tuneup parts.. this was a lesson from Screwed-U and was much more valuable than any college course.

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

to clarify, if you actually read my post you'll see the questions are directed at you personally... how many bad parts do YOU need to buy before you don't trust that manufacturer? how many engines would YOU need to get screwed on by someone like GEX before you didn't buy from them again....etc...

yes, and statistically I am more likely to get bad parts, based on my own personal experience(which means much more to me than those other 999 folks), from Bosch than from autolite or NGK... how's that for statistics?

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

No, I don't think we are "talking out our ass". You couldn't even figure out what " ACVW through BB 1000 HP engines" meant.

We average about 6 ACVW racing engines here a month. And probably about 4+ V8's in the same period. We have quite a bit of experience with plugs. (not to mention other components.) (Many of our engines are also not NA. so that means even more strenuous testing of plugs.

I have no doubt some of you might have come across a defective plug out of the box once. (Most likely dropped by you or your provider and you experienced an internal insulator crack.) But I suspect I go through more sparkplugs in a month than you do in several years. I don't care if you don't prefer Bosch, for whatever reasons. But your statistical quality measurements are pretty lacking. As far as I am concerned from my experience Bosch is no worse or better than any comparable brand/type plug. Even with all the plugs we go through here in a year, I would not be able to give a precise QC measurement of 1 plug over another. It would take far more tests than we do. My guess is, your statistical evaluation is much more limited than that.

As another posted mentioned if you got a bad plug once, by all means chose another brand. But a comment that "Bosch plugs are junk" based upon your bad plug one time doesn't mean much.

Reply to
jim

all the talk of statistics is pretty much crap anyway... you admittedly go through more plugs than most, so you base your failure rate on that... if other's base their failure rate on the number of plugs they use... I would expect you to get more "bad" plugs than I would(or any other hobbiest), and if you use 500 plugs this year and I use 50 and I get more bad ones than you, that scares me even worse... if I get more bad ones than you at a 10% ratio, it doesn't matter how badly you want me to believe they really are better than my experience says, I won't be buying it, nor the plugs... not sure why that bothers you, or why it's so hard to understand...the bad part with folks like you(that's not a slam) that use more parts than the hobbiest is, if we have worse experience you tell us you know better based on the number of plugs you use, but if you say they are crap and we say we've had no problem and think they are great, then you'll tell us we are wrong because you just know better... but I digress...

who did that, or are you grasping? after repeated bad plugs over a period of time I personally decided Bosch plugs were not worth the gamble, and i've had nothing but good plugs since swearing off bosch... silly to you? maybe, but to me it was not only the best thing to do, but paid off really well.... so, I'll say it again, based on my experience with Bosch plugs, they are not just junk, but not worth having even if they are given to you...like it or not..

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

:) Statistics, or more accurately, 'probability' metrics can be scary. If you fly in a four-engine airplane, the chances of an engine failure are much higher than if you fly in a single-engine aircraft - but that doesn't mean you should fly over the ocean in a single-engine plane. (Ever been in a jet that lost an engine? I have. It blew on take-off, which is about the worst time to fail.)

Reply to
John J

absolutely...and to tie that back in, the more bosch plugs I buy, based on previous experience with them, the more I chance getting "bad" ones... I won't take that chance, anymore than the single engine plane over the ocean......too many other options out there that have served me well...(that *is* what it's all about)...

Reply to
Joey Tribiani