Brake backing plate question on my 66

As some of you may have read elsewhere, My 66 is sick and in the garage . I swapped out the pan/front end/tranny for a rebuilt pan with new Rancho Performance tranny and new front end and brakes all around. All four corners are now 4 lug and not wide 5. I had a shop pull the old tranny and install the new one and brakes while I had the pan in the shop getting rebuilt. I did not see at the time what they had done. They put the 4 lug style rear brake drums on ( they have no adjustment nut holes in them) and left the stock swing axle style backing plates on (they have no adjustment nut holes in them either) So after this long winded intro, how hard would it be for me to either drill or using a rotary file make holes in the backing plates so I can adjust my brakes and start drivng my car again?

Thanks! Mike

Reply to
Mike West

Hey Mike I have had to drill both adjustment and inspection holes in the backing plates on a 67 that someone put the 68 set-up on. You want to make sure to get the holes for the adjustment in the right place due to the fact the plate helps with the adjustment, and you want to make sure to put in the inspection holes also ...so there wont be a chance I'll have to do it sometime in the future...lol

I cut the the bottom portion off a bad backing plate as a guide.

Reply to
Kafertoys

Any chance you could make a paper template from your guide you made and fax it to me?? or e-mail it ?

My e-mail is snipped-for-privacy@pdw.net and the fax is 281-494-4633

Thanks! Mike

Reply to
Mike West

Mike I will try to fax you a copy no later then Monday.

Reply to
Kafertoys