Brake Bleeding

Have changed out my front brakes, including cylinders and shoes on both sides. Trying to bleed them, after several attempts of pumping and bleeding, the pedal still goes to the floor. What am I doing wrong? Thanks, Pete

Reply to
zam

Dunno, Pete, but if you have a rental place nearby, ask them if they have a power bleeder. It doesn't require a helper to pump brakes and turns the whole thing into a 15 minute job. If that doesn't work, get back to us.

OH! I think someone here, maybe Shaggie, wrote of bleeding the brakes using just gravity - a long hose or something suspended above the car. Zat so, folks? Might it work?

Reply to
John J

I'm an advocate of gravity bleeding... never let me down... open bleeder, attatch hose, put hose in jar with some fluid and let it bleed by gravity... never let me down and gives you time(and a reason) to do other little things on the car that need to be done anyway... I don't usually pump/bleed due to the possibility of damage to the seals in the master cylinder when the piston exceeds it's "normal" travel and gets into part of the bore that may be pitted, etc....

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

This works for me every three years when I replace my brake light switches. Note: Those switches seem to fail about every 3.25 years.

Motive Products - power bleeder

Air Cooled Vw Adapter 1104

1104 Air Cooled VW adapter fits most air cooled Vws $27.95

Works on most Air Cooled VWs, including Bugs, Buses, and Square Backs and Fast Backs (Adapter 1104).=A0All bleeders come with a full 1 year warranty.=A0=A0 Appplication notes:

1100 - 45mm -- bus 1950-1967=A0=A0 1104 - 27mm=A0 -- bug after 1963, bus after 1967=A0=A0 1101 - anything with push on caps

Here is a l> Have changed out my front brakes, including cylinders and shoes on

Reply to
Jim347a

Stay away from vacuum bleeders, they can't work properly simply because of the operating principle and design of brake cylinder piston seals.. those aren't made to seal under vacuum, only under pressure.

Reply to
Jan

Anybody use these: Solo Bleed Bleeder Screws (AKA: Speed Bleed) ...allow a single person to safely bleed their brakes without a mess.

Jim347a

I have been using my own design for years, one I made out of a beetle windshield washer tank :) Works great.

Here we just haven't bothered yet. Boss is very anal about everything, and as Old Skool as they get...

Reply to
Jan

link doesn't work.

You probably meant these:

I'm tempted to try them too.

This should work, we have one at the shop but it's still new in a box :) been there for months. We do the 2-guy pump & bleed thing.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

I tried those bleeder screws, didn't like them, they had some sealant stuff on them but they still let air in around the threads, I wrapped them in Teflon tape to finally get them to seal but the fluid ate the tape, I finally replaced them with standard bleeder screws, too much trouble. Save your money and buy the power bleeder. Darrell

Reply to
fixer33

Take that out of the box and use it. I've been using the power bleeder forever. It works. And is faster than two guys mucking around.

Reply to
John J

Joey Tribiani wrote: ]

Yea! Thats the post I (kinda) remember. Thanks for that, Chris!

Reply to
John J