Brake bleeding problems

I think you will be safe to route the line without using the clip. Maybe slide a length of tubular foam sleeving over the line to keep it from vibrating.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Ok. The brakes are back. I am relieved.

A short description of the whole process (Beetle 1973, 1300 standard):

  • had the yearly vehicle inspection. The brakes were dynoed and were working perfectly. The inspector noticed that the front brake hoses were a bit cracked on the outside and told me that it would be wise to replace them.

  • replaced the front hoses and bled the front brakes. The brake pedal goes to the floor and when down the front brakes barely touch the drum. The star adjusters were not touched at all before this.

  • Adjusted the brakes.

  • bought also new back hoses. Changed them and in the process ruined the brake line that goes from the T-piece in the rear left side to the rear right brake hose. Replaced the brake line and routed it over the transmission.

  • Test drive. Pedal is not going to the floor but the brake performance is poor. On a sand field I was only able to lock the left rear wheel.

  • Re-adjusted the brakes. Took a test drive. YES! The brakes are back! I am able to lock them on pavement and sand field.

Conclusions. There was something odd going on with the brakes before. Maybe the hoses were clogged and not allowing the fluid to return fully from the wheel cylinders causing the shoes not be able to return fully. This made the brakes "self adjusting" but probably they would soon have started to bind.

Reply to
Olli Lammi

LOL Thanks for the full report.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Thank you all for your comments and suggestions!

Reply to
Olli Lammi

HEY we are relieved too! That life you save might be one of ours too!

Congrats and thanks for the follow-up.

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1