Brake problem and possible solution

Hello!

T34 has been sitting a long time (no-one knows how long) and its brakes stick if I brake, at three wheels: Left front wheel brake works as it should.

If I open the bleed screw of a stuck brake, it expels a bit of brake fluid and then the wheel spins again, i.e.. the brake itself works and I can drive it if I don't brake. :)

Old Beetle owners like me know that especially rear brake hoses are famous of breaking in such a way it forms a one-way valve and thus sticking the brakes every time you brake, so I bought new hoses. I didn't buy new ones to front at the same and that was a mistake. Oh well, yet another visit to local VW shop. (They know me by name there already. :) "Hello Thomas, what may we sell you today?" )

Haven't had time to replace those yet, but I can't imagine what else it could be as the 4th wheel works: If all four were stuck, then it would point to brake master cylinder or pipes.

I've also new handbrake cables, I'll change those at the same time I replace the hoses.

I dismantled and cleaned carburettors and now I have (a bit rough) idle and charging appeared when I installed springs for the carbon bits (what are the called?) as they were MIA.

Some almost new pictures (added at 5th of September) at the picture page:

Tuomas

if I brake, at

then the wheel

breaking in such

brake, so I bought

Oh well, yet

Thomas, what

be as the 4th

cylinder or pipes.

charging appeared

What a lovely find! Congratulations!

Yes, new brake hoses should solve the stuck brake problem.

In English, the "carbon bits" are called brush(es). I would guess the name comes from the fact that the carbon "brushes" against the revolving commutator.

A very early large dynamo with multiple "brushes" is shown here:

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

I've written some history of buy earlier but it was for sale in Germany at mobile.de and I found it from there.

Brush, yes. I should have remembered that.

It was raining yesterday and I had opportunity to wash the car and take some more photos as the water does wonders to old paint, it looks almost good in this photo. :)

Sections that are dry look as bas as in earlier photos and I see that I left an unwashed area in the middle, it was a kind of hard to see in the dark.

Anyway, it looks much like a paint that can be ground and polished, there's enough thickness in paint.

(I know, maybe I've been drooling too many detailing pages, like

Absolutely stunning anyway. )

Reply to
Tuomas