Brake upgrade

Now that I have a larger and more powerful engine in my 66 Baja, the brakes are not up to the job any more.

I'd like to keep the wide 5 pattern but the cost of a wide 5 disk brake conversion is more than I want to spend. Is there any way to use old type 2 front brakes on a bug?

If all else fails I will probably end up with a later 4 lug pattern front end. I'd like to install these on my spare front beam and then swap out the whole unit. My spare beam came off a 72 and while it looks like it will fit, are there any problems installing a later beam in an earlier bug? As I recall 1966 is the first year of the ball joint front end...

Tony

Reply to
Anthony W

the only difference would be your outer tierod ends...from 66-(I believe) mid 68 were smaller shank outer ends...all new discbrake "kits" use the larger/later outer tierod ends

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

Are you saying that I can bolt the later model beam up to my 66? I know the later model front end uses larger spindles but those would go away with a disk break kit.

One advantage is the later model front beam has an anti-sway bar on it. I'm not sure if they weren't stock in 1966 or if the PO removed it.

I still haven't written off using mid 1960's Bus front drum brakes but I haven't heard any thing back on what it would take to install them.

Tony

Reply to
Anthony W

all the balljoint beams are the same....the 68(US spec cars) had larger brakes than the 66 and 67's. they were also four lug....while the spindles will "go away" with a disc brake kit, if you have original 66 components you will also have to replace the outter tierod ends....they are larger on mid68-up and if i'm not mistaken, all aftermarket disc kits use the larger/later style...

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

I didn't know the later Bugs had larger front drums. I'll have to measure them to see how much bigger they are. I may just install the later beam with the 4 bolt drums to see how much better they are. I will need to scrounge up a new pair of front rims first.

I was trying to avoid running a mixed wheel car with 4 bolt rims up front and wide 5 in the rear... I have a pair of steel spoked off road style rims on the rear that I will have to replace if I convert the entire car to 4 lug and I'm not looking forward to that.

Tony

Reply to
Anthony W

Reply to
One out of many Daves

That's what I always thought but that was why I was asking if type 2 front drums could be installed on a type 1 without too much trouble. I guess no one here has ever tried that...

Tony

Reply to
Anthony W

I'm sure the front brakes were larger....the only reference i can find to support this in my saved sites is this:

not that it really matters to me, i'm not a purist type and I always toss the drums in favor of discs....and i'm now sold on four wheel discs....cheap, easy, and much better....

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

Four wheel disks cheap??? You must make much more money than I do. I looked into this conversion from AirCooled.net and with the new wheels to replace the custom rear wheels I'm running the whole set up was going to be over a grand.

Not that I'm opposed to going to a 4 lug set up, I just don't have a grand lying around that I could allocate to this project...

I could get the disk conversion cheaper locally but John C. has a reputation for no BS disk brake conversion kits and in my old age this really appeals to me.

Tony

Reply to
Anthony W

all my experience is with the four luggers....

with front setups at 300 bucks they are cheap...even cheaper if you get ghia parts(which the conversions are) at your local flaps..you can get the "conversion" over time that way to help offset the costs.... the rears can be had affordably, i have CB performance's rear "rotohub" with ebrak...about

350 or less...that is *cheap*.... its all relative....my bug stops as well as my wifes newer mazda with four wheel discs...stops as well or even better than our late 80's bmw with four wheel discs....i figure this is due to less weight, but i like to stop when i need to...and as an added bonus i don't have to adjust brakes....that's worth something...hehe...
Reply to
Joey Tribiani

I'll look into the Ghia conversion but last I heard Ghia front disk spindles were pretty much unotainium used around here.

I'm with you on adjusting brakes. I don't mind it in warm weather but it's a bitch in the wet Oregon winter months.

Tony

Reply to
Anthony W

tony...i have a set of ghia spindles complete with backing plates i took off my bug when i installed CBperformance lowered spindles....can take some pics if you are interested...

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

I'm interested. Please send the pix to snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com

Tony

Reply to
Anthony W

Yeah I read that on that

site also. I then quickly went to rockauto.com and found the front shoes were the same on the '66 and '68 Beetles. Rears are still different along with a larger master cylinder on the '68.

I usually put the same type stuff back on unless asked to do otherwise.

I just came back from a VW show here in Illinois and saw many '66 Beetles with outer door handles with square triggers. I always thought the '66 and '67 had round triggers on the outer door handles.

BTW I like the discs too! Less time needed to adjust brakes too! ;-)

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

snapped some pics for you Tony....i have both front spindles with backingplates...i have, however, misplaced the four(two each) small bolts that hold the backingplate to the spindles...should be no problem to locate at a hardware store....i also have the bearings and rotors i was running...in the pic you will see what prompted me to rework the front brakes....one of my calipers began dragging(miles from home) and litterally chewed up my rotor and pads(and for that reason i disassembled the entire front suspension, narrowed the beam, new BJ's, new tierods, new lowered spindles, through rods, custom shock towers and big air shocks to make it adjustable....all over a caliper and rotor...gee, sometimes i take things to extremes.......so one rotor is toast, dont' know why i kept it...parts are dirty and just as i removed them...

i also have a complete rear brake setup off the same car (69 IRS)....you would have to get an answer from someone with more experience with swing axle than i to know what it would take, or if, it will bolt up....i don't know....anyway, parts are dirty, but the rears were not that old....the drums look good on the inside and the cylinders and hardware were not too old...well not much usage....didn't drive car much....but no guarantees since they have been sitting on a shelf for awhile....also still connected are the hardline that goes from the cylinder to flex line(on the IRS anyway) and parking brake cables...

Joey Tribiani

PS...didn't think of this, but i do have my nearly complete 68 pan still sitting outside...it has drums and backingplates but i believe the brake parts are gone...they are swingaxle and four lug...not even sure of the condition since i never removed them...i bought the car and swapped the pan....

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

I don't know about the rears either. How much do you need for the fronts?

T> snapped some pics for you Tony....i have both front spindles with

Reply to
Anthony W

hehe...depends.... Be honest now...i know you have been here at RAMVA for many years....did i ever cuss you? or, did you ever cuss ME?

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

Not that I can remember but we've most likely had a difference of opinion on something. I generally avoid pissing contests on the Internet and the only argument I got into here was when some one insisted I was some one else when I returned after I took 1 year hiatus from the group.

I was rather humorous about when people posted links to some of my eBay auctions as examples of typos. I'm dyslexic and I don't always see my mistakes. Now aways I run my eBay text through MS word first. However I've sold off most of my VW spares. If I ever clean my garage I have a lot of 240z bits that have to go next.

Off and on I've been posting or lurking here in RAMVA since 1996 when I first could afford regular Internet access and I've had my Baja Bug since 1993.

Tony

Reply to
Anthony W

i know you have been here forever....i've been around since some time in 96 myself...i have a habbit of calling people names and being called names....builds charactor ....anyway, if you want and need the parts they are yours....send me a shipping address and cover the shipping cost.... you will need calipers, one rotor and the pinchbolts that retain the bearings/rotor. you will also need the rubber supply lines....i'd replace the bearings, but i believe in overkill...these bearings were "fine" when i removed them a few months back....i can't possibly ship before friday due to my schedule. send shipping info to BugninvaATaol.com

Reply to
Joey Tribiani