Brakes - 2 nd. try

I have a trike with a swing axel that leaked grease on the shoes.I know if it was brake fluid the shoes can be cleaned ,can you remove grease and reuse the shoes ? Jerry

Jerry - OHIO

can you remove grease

I would:

1) fix the grease leak so it won't leak on the shoes 2) replace the contaminated shoes with new shoes 3) adjust the brakes 4) bleed the system

note: even if you could re-use the old shoes, they would be defective if the swing axle leaks any more gear oil on them.

Reply to
Jim Ed

Much like the clutch disc, once the brake shoes get oil on them, they are ruined. Oil wicks in deep. You can wash them with solvent and do everything you can imagine to get the oil out, but the best you can achieve is a dry surface. The next time they get hot, oil surfaces again from inside the friction lining. Unfortunately, that happens when you are braking.... :)

Reply to
Jan Andersson

I plan on doing seals and brakes this week. Parts store said I could get away with it. I guess he didn't want to sell me new shoes .I think the kid is smoking something. Could be he was trying to sell a gallon of brake cleaner. Jerry

Jerry - OHIO

For the cost of getting some shoes relined its not worth the effort of solvents, trying to "burn it off", solvents again, repeat, etc etc. Blokes are spot on, fix seals, get shoes relined. Think last time I got that job done it was $60 for skimming drums and bonded linings. John

Reply to
John

for the cost of brand new shoes at $24 per axle, I doubt relining is a competitive alternative. I'd get new ones.

Jan Andersson