Brakes get tighter as they warm up.

Last fall when my 64 was cool the brakes were fine but when they heated up the pedal would get stiffer and stiffer and then they start to drag.

Thinking that there was water in the lines I bled the brakes, put in new fluid and bled them properly. Then they were fine for a while and now the problem is coming back again. All the lines are brand new and it's a buggy so a visual inspection didn't show any leaks or corrosion anywhere. The master cylinder looks good, no cracks or anything.

Does anyone have any ideas if it is water in the lines causing this? On newer cars there is a rubber seal on the top of the master cylinder to prevent water absorption which my buggy doesn't have. Did they make an aftermarket one?

I'm open to suggestions!

Reply to
68kyote

Since the lines are new, I'd bet on the M/C pushrod not having any freeplay. If you push on the top of the pedal with your fingertips, you should feel about 1/4" of play before the pushrod hits the piston.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

I'll bet that you don't have any pedal free play. Here's how to check it:

Gently, with a single finger, grab the brake pedal and see if it will pull rearwards. If it will, then your pedal shaft is binding up and isn't allowing the the pedal to release all the way.

Then put your finger on the face of the pedal and gently push. The pedal should move 1/4 to 1/2" before the pushrod bottoms out in the MC.

If you fail either test, you need to fix this problem.

-

Jim Adney

It won't pull rearwards at all. I can push on it and it moves around

1/4 before I feel heavy resistance...
Reply to
68kyote

It should move easily for the 1/4" and then you should feel the pushrod bottom out in the MC with a thunk. If you don't feel the thunk, or don't know what you're looking for, then find someone who can show you, or check out another old VW.

-

Jim Adney

Well it's stiff, and then gets stiffer around a quarter inch in, so you are probably right. I'll see about getting the freeplay adjusted. Thanks!

Reply to
68kyote

I have come across small defects in a wheel cylinder piston seal causing that cylinder to 'pump up' and not release - or only very slowly. Dificult I know, but when the brakes go stiff, try jacking up the car and rotating each wheel by hand. Or just replace all cylinders :-)

Reply to
escarabodude