brakes. oversized drums- what now?

i had my drums skimmed, thought they were the cause of significant judder- not so, nicely skimmed, but still judders something crazy. question, what do i do now re brake shoes? how and where do get oversized stuff? surely the standard ones will only contact in spots?

thanks hartmann

Reply to
Hartmann

You *might* be able to find oversized shoes. But eventually these new shoes will wear in to the drum diam. Keep the stars adjusted weekly.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

Reply to
Wolfgang

Can drums get out of round? my braking feels a little judder and when braking very lightly I can feel it grabbing at spots but not the full drum...?

Reply to
Busdriver

I had a super beetle that exhibited problems with the brake pedal pulsing. It seemed as though the drums were warped, but inspection of the drums didn't show anything wrong. The brake shoes also looked good. I found that the bolt holding down the wheel cylinder on one wheel was a little loose. Once that was tightened back down the problem went away.

As for your other question...if the brake shoes are contaminated they can cause problems such as the ones you are describing. If you replace the shoes, plan on adjusting them more frequently initially, as they will need to wear in before they will fully contact the friction surface of the drum.

Chris

Reply to
Hal

do you run aftermarket wheels and bolts? if so check that lthe wheelbolts are not extending too far into the drum, they will contact the brakes and make alot of "judder"...and may not even cause damage that you can see .....

Reply to
Chris Perdue