Broken bleeding screw, suggestions?

Hi RAMVA!

Time to tackle a few problems on the bug (1970 standard with factory discs front). The brakes need some care, already ordered a master cylinder (mine has low pressure on the back) and replaced the center line. While bleeding the brakes and replacing bleeding screws that were difficult to turn (the front ones were almost round), I accidentally broke one of the bleeder screws. So, I figured I could take it out with an extractor bit and the small T-handle from my tap and die set. Well, no luck.

How can I take the broken screw out without messing up the threads? The calipers are ATE.

Reply to
Karls Vladimir Peña

Hi Karls

Jan suggested that at a pinch you can bleed the brakes where the flexi hose meets the wheel cylindar. - you will need a friend.

I replaced my cylinders when I had the same problem. They are not expensive.

Rich

Reply to
tricky

Tricky, there's no wheel cylinder. It's an ATE caliper.

Reply to
Karls Vladimir Peña

Sorry Karls

I should think when I am reading !!!!

Same applies, caliper are a bit more expensive than cylinders but still not expensive.

If it was me I would take out any rubber parts and try to weld somthing to the bleeder screw and then turn it out before giving up and buying a new one.

Jan's option will still work. You slacken the flexi hose - your friend presses the pedal, you tighten the hose, your friend releases the pedal ... repeat until air has gone or pedal is hard.

Jim Adney rebuilds a few brake parts, maybe he can suggest something ?

Rich

Reply to
tricky

as with any old car, weeks before I attempt to unscrew something , I put some liquid wrench or even old motor oil on the threads. Theory is; the vibration of the road works the oil in and I therefore break off fewer bolts. can't hurt. avoid rubber parts with the oil.

Reply to
A Veteran for Peace

I agree with the above. Get in touch with Jim Adney here, he has what you need. He says he can get broken bleeder screws out and I belive him.

New calipers from Aircooled.net will get you there too. Thats what I did when I broke mine. Not too expensive and great parts.

< TC
Reply to
tcrdn11

Thanks a lot. Let's hope Jim Adney reads this and helps me out. I just talked to a friend who owns a machine shop and he said he can take it out in a moment, but I have to dismount the caliper and take it there (a bit far from here). So That's my last resort. If I can't take it out myself with Jim's advice, I'll just take it there.

Checked ACN's calipers. about 67 USD each and they come with pads installed. Dual bleeder calipers (I had those on my long gone 73 super). The price looks reasonable, not too expensive, not too cheap. But it hurts my pride to dish a perfectly good caliper just for a broken bleeder screw. When I'm ready to upgrade to disc rear I'll get them there.

Karls

Reply to
Karls Vladimir Peña

"Karls Vladimir Peña" schreef in bericht news:dn23kq$snt$ snipped-for-privacy@puff.nn.cl...

This might help:

is John website with very good advise...IF you have the tools. hth Roger

Reply to
bug '59

when putting things together, one can use ant-seize compound on threads. beats rust.

Reply to
A Veteran for Peace