bump and steer

Hi all

I got loads of VW books for crimbo. So I am learning fast !

All of the hard stuff is explained quite well, but the easy stuff is assumed the reader already knows.

My question

Could someone please explain " bump and stear "

I have heard and read this frase often, but have no idea what it is.

Thanks Rich

Reply to
tricky

Do you mean "bump steer?" If so, bump steer is the change in toe-in when a wheel is deflected up or down by a bump. When tuning car handling, one key procedure is to measure and minimize bump steer. I made a tool for this out of two pieces of plywood.

Paul

Reply to
p_hamilton

Hell,........I thought that was the way home when you ran outta gas or car died on ya,............get someone to get in a car behind you and bump you to get going and steer the car home.................

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply

MUADIB®

MUADIB®

Yes that is what I meant, thanks.

So if you have 'bad' bump steer , what would you notice when driving ?

... and a happy new year to you, and everyone else too !

Rich

p snipped-for-privacy@pipel> Do you mean "bump steer?" If so, bump steer is the change in toe-in

Reply to
tricky

If you hit a bump in the road or a sharp dip the car will start to change directions as if you had pulled on the steering wheel real quick. I don't believe most acvw's had any serious bump steer even when they were out of alignment. I don't notice any on mine and it does need some alignment.

Happy new year.

Reply to
Mike64Bug

Hi

Thanks for that. I was reading up on lowering etc. Bump steer is mentioned time and again, but not what it was. Now I know !

Cheers aga>>So if you have 'bad' bump steer , what would you notice when driving ? >>

directions as if you had pulled on the

steer even when they were out of alignment.

Reply to
tricky

Bump steer can be a problem on a car that is lowered because the suspension angles change.(camber, caster, etc.) I don't know how an aircooled vw reacts to having it's suspension lowered since I've never done that. I suspect that you may end up with some bump steer depending on how low you go. If you do a search on the newsgroup for "bump steer" you'll probably find some information from others who have done this and what they did to correct it such as changes to the front end alignment.

Reply to
Mike64Bug

From what i've read you can reset the caster by shimming at the top, and there is a bump steer kit which lets you use the tie rods upside down ! apparently you can get it all pretty close again.

I was more interested reading - how to hotrod your vw - saying that raising your suspention as vw did by 1.5" gives you better handling at higher speeds ! we are talking 100 mph + where the rounded top of the body acts as a wing and provides lift !

anyhow - all interesting stuff

Rich

Mike64Bug wrote:

Reply to