Busted rod?

Hey - anybody have any thoughts on this? A friend of mine just filled up after running a can of injector cleaner through his motor and having it run really poorly - it came out of it -so he filled the tank - Upon starting it cranked and then went clunk! - we pulled the starter pushed it and it would roll two feet and stop abruptly !- I think he blew the motor - but what could be busted?

Reply to
horse logger via CarKB.com

What type of car? Why would he use injector cleaner on a carb, or is it a fuel injected? You say it came out of it.. what came out of it.. the can?? Here's my amateur opinion. Do a compression check. If you dont have a compression guage.. Take out all 4 spark plugs. Stick a rod down one of the plug holes. Be gently not to scar anything. Turn the engine gently by hand using the pulley. Watch to see if the piston moves the rod up and down. Do it to all 4 cylinders.. If the rod doesnt move, then the piston broke off the connecting arm.

Reply to
payments338

aircooled vw? if its a blown rod don't turn the engine. If you do a partial tear down you will have your answer. Pull the headers, heads and expose the pistons

Reply to
Funkie

pull all of the spark plugs first and see if the engine can be turned over by hand. Maybe he hydrolocked the engine..... Too much liquid inside of the cylinders. If you can turn it over by hand then disable the ign. coil and crank with the starter. Then reinstall the plugs, connect the coil and start the engine up.

later, dave (One out of many daves)

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1