busted stud

Now I went and did it. While changing out the muffler on my 73 bug one nut on the exhaust pipe broke. This is leaving a 1/2 inch stud from the engine. I tried to double nut it to remove the busted stud. No luck... ;-( . I guess I'll try to heat it up and use vise grips. But that will be too easy I guess. I will have to cut if off and drill it out. But there is no room for a saw there. Maybe I'll just buy a 2003 bug !

Pete

On 24 Aug 2003 20:34:56 GMT, p left Mt Vesuvius in a state of jealous awe as he began spewing from the mouth thusly:

If a broken bolt is all it takes to get you to consider a new VW then maybe that's what you should buy and drive. ;-) Now take the anger you just got over what I just said/typed and go take it out on that busted stud. Let us know how easily it came out as you attacked it at the same time you muttered "That @sshole shaggie sonofab*tch!!!" Oh yeah, turn it counter-clockwise to get it out. Now you should really be able to take care of it... As always, glad I could help! :-D

-- Travis (Shaggie) '63 VW Camo Baja...

corrodes the vessel that carries it.The statements above reflect my own opinions and experiences and nothing more.I don't pretend to be a professional mechanic, politician, philosopher,attorney, or chiropractor.Take any advice in this post at your own risk, and with a grain of salt."Milk is for babies. Beer is for men." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

Reply to
travis

On 24 Aug 2003 21:14:59 GMT, p left Mt Vesuvius in a state of jealous awe as he began spewing from the mouth thusly:

You're a wuss if you can't get that stud out. Go with the anger. GO WITH THE ANGER!!! ;-P

-- Travis (Shaggie) '63 VW Camo Baja...

corrodes the vessel that carries it.The statements above reflect my own opinions and experiences and nothing more.I don't pretend to be a professional mechanic, politician, philosopher,attorney, or chiropractor.Take any advice in this post at your own risk, and with a grain of salt."Milk is for babies. Beer is for men." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

Reply to
travis

It happens to me all the time. I have a trick to put in a new one, since rethreating the aluminum heads always seems to fail me.

I use my B&D powerfile to file the corners off half of the M8 nut. Nex i just saw off the stud, then drill and 8mm hole through. Slide the half nut behind the hole (small recessin the head there) and put a bolt through it. This leaves the option to have someone install 10mm case savers and a new

8mm stud when you have the heads off at some point.

BLACK BAJA

"p" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@cris.com...

Reply to
Black Baja