Buying Beetle,info wanted

I looking to buy my favorite car! but i wanna know one thing before i do, what exactly is the difference between a regular beetle and a super? and what year would be best to buy?

Reply to
Exille

You can always tell a Super because when you open the front hood the spare tire lays flat. The Super has the Mcphearson Stut front suspension. 73 and later Supers have the large curved front winshield. Best year to buy is determined on what you are looking for. If inexpensive and redily available parts are what you are looking for, then a later model would be your best bet. If you like the vintage appeal, then a 67 or earlier would probably be the best choice

Bill Berckman

67 Beetle Pictures at
VW/Porsche Family Reunion Show 2003 Pictures
Bill Berckman

Look under the front wing, into the inner wheelarch. If you see a big spring, then it's a 1302/1303 Super (MacPherson strut front suspension).

You know, Super Beetle's aren't as bad as everyone makes out...

Reply to
Howard Rose

"Regular" Beetles use the same (almost) type of front suspension that the original Beetle design used. "Super" Beetles were re-designed to use the McPherson strut found on most cars today. Supers came out in '71. There are adherents of both. You decide.

Go to John Henry's site for car buying tips:

The 3 most important things to look for are:

1) Rust 2) Rust 3) Rust

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

That's the first time I've ever heard anyone defend a Super Beetle. I don't like Supers, personally. That's just me. Get what you like. I've heard the MacPhearson struts are harder to replace and a bit more expensive, but what do I know? I DO know how to weld a pinapple can to an exhaust pipe to patch a hole, and I know how to rebuild a carb (putting the timing pin back in is *very* important...).

Remember, there are should be no "extra" parts left over when you're done. :)

lol Kidd "Back in black. It's a fact."

Reply to
Kidd

Uh oh! Here come the religious threads!

Best one? By what standards? My friend who had his own ACVW repair business for over 30 years claims that the 'best' Bug was the 1972, and the 'next to' Best Bugs were earlier. "After '72 the sheet metal and fastening began to go to hell." BUT where in the world can one find a pristine '72 (except mine which is never driven!) Frankly, I think the '72 is fugly.

My dream Bug is a 1952 on an IRS chassis with a properly built 1776.

Reply to
jjs

Oh, on the Super. The "Super" does not refer to engine or power. The Super engine is basically the same as later Standard Bugs. Later Supers are heavier and thus less than Super. Front suspension is totally different: expensive to maintain and replace, subject to disaster when the fenders rust, but in a pristine Super the suspension is superior to the regular Bug suspension. Some people really like the Super Beetle and I don't blame them, but they are way too much trouble for me. (Me, the wimp!)

Reply to
jjs

....................I've owned a lot of bugs and I'd say that my German built '77 is put together pretty well..........but after only 27 years, I guess the jury is still out.

:-)

Reply to
Tim Rogers

One more question,actually more of a "should i buy it" my friend at school has a 66' with the 1300cc motor, he wants $600, no rust, small small dings, primer black, good interior, good? bad? the 1300 isnt the most powerful VW engine from what i understand...

Reply to
Exille

......................I'd buy that sucker at that price in a heartbeat.

.........Where is it?

Reply to
Tim Rogers

Is that the Bug that was pre-owned by that middle-aged millionaire hippie freak?

Reply to
jjs

On Sat, 01 Nov 2003 11:24:11 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@nospam.xxx (jjs) ran around screaming and yelling:

uh-oh...now you've done it John...here come the purists to get you..LOL J

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

No rust? Where do you live, or where did that Bug come from? A truly no-rust '66 is worth $600. However, that doesn't mean it's going to be reliable. You do know that Bugs are a whole lot of trouble, don't you?

Reply to
jjs

Bring 'em on! I'm used to it. Ever seen my chopped '56 Harley?

Reply to
jjs

..................Yep.........That's the one. Earle let me have it for only about a third of its real value. See what what can happen when you're nice to your fellow ramvaites?..........

Reply to
Tim Rogers

................Yeah.........Let me at him. I'm gonna sic my schnauzer on his wrinkled-up old carcass.

Reply to
Tim Rogers

On Sat, 01 Nov 2003 12:13:13 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@nospam.xxx (jjs) ran around screaming and yelling:

yes...very nice bike.... J

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

I live out in the boonies in Placerville,CA, there is a TINY bit of surface rust on the hood..or would it be the trunk?my dad used to have a 57 beetle and he said they are only trouble if you dont keep up on the maintinance... anyone wanna give me info on the 1300? like...HP wise and are they slugs compared to the 1600s?

Reply to
Exille

...............I have a 1300 from my '66 and I'm keeping it. Naturally, a

1600 dual port is going to have a lot more power than a 1300 single port. It depends on what kind of driving you're planning on. I've heard that the 1300 is one of the sweetest running set-ups that any bug could have. Maybe this is for 'around town' style cruising......I'm not sure. It might be a driveability thing though that includes things like smoothness and low end tractability if that's the right word. There's a regular poster here at RAMVA named Howard Rose who drives an original '66........hopefully, he'll pick up on this thread and add some firsthand impressions of his 1300.
Reply to
Tim Rogers

Well...ive just been offered a 70' beetle, with the 1600, faded (aged) dark blue, and its a snow car from pollock pines, has quite a bit of surface rust and also has rusted out parts of the fenders and passnger side pan, he wants $600 also...which would you guys choose if you had a choice?

Reply to
Exille