C.V. joints, extend life by swapping driver to passenger side?

I have rebuilt C.V. joints for my 80 vanagon and in the process I tired to keep track of the individual joints, driver in, driver out, passenger in passenger out. There was some pitting in the races, but only in one direction of rotation. After assembly, keeping all parts in there old places and orientations, I thought that by rotating each shaft by 180 degrees, inside is now out and out goes inside that I could use the bearing surfaces that were not worn. A bit of thought and I realized that doing so would make no difference. To change the surfaces which wear I would have to switch drivers side shaft for the passenger side and visa versa. This should extend the life of the shafts a little.

Any agreement? Thanks for your thoughts

Reply to
andy everett

absolutely... swap side to side...

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

Yup. 'less it's an automatic. I seem to recall that the left and right shafts are of different lengths on a Vanagon auto. But I did the side-to-side swap on my '81 stick (after going through the same logic path that you did) and it hasn't blown up yet...

And it won't really extend the life of the shafts. They don't really wear much. The CV joints, maybe... ;)

Reply to
Lyle Beaulac