Cal DMV question

Hey guys, I am in the process of buying a family-owned '63 Bug that was rear ended about two years ago and left in the front yard. The owner is a real nice guy and wanted to fix the car but insurance companies being what they are wouldn't give enough to fix it, so instead the company declared the car "totalled" and gave him the option of either taking more in the settlement and letting the company take the car and presumably sell it to a junkyard or letting him keep it and take less, which he did. THey issued some paperwork which he took to the DMV and they issued him a document saying the car is "junked" and that he does not have to pay fees on it. He has the pre-collision pink slip but is not sure if he sells it if it will be a "salvaged" vehicle when the new pink is issued to me. So, I guess my question is how does a car end up with a "salvaged" title? Wouldn't it have had to be bought from a junkyard to have that title? I would like to buy this car but not if it has a salvaged title.

--Dan E

Reply to
Braukuche

Lloyd McClelland

From what I understand, you can't insure the car for full coverage with a salvaged title.

Reply to
David Gravereaux

In CA, the biggest nightmare would be you have to get a brake & light inspection before you can register it. Shouldn't be too hard, as long as they aknowledge a 63 had no reverse lights.

Reply to
Zarana-X

When the insurance salvages a vehicle, they have the DMV issue a salvage title. Once a car has a salvage title, that title has to stay with the car. It is fraudulent to sell a vehicle that has been salvaged and not provide the salvaged title. New owners have to be notified that it was salvaged. This is done to protect buyers.

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

Reply to
Fred Kat