Cam Info

To All:

If anyone is interested in cams you may find the illustrated article CAMHARD of interest. It is in the Files archive of the AirVW Group on Yahoo in the CAM folder.

Poke around in the same area, you'll find some dyno pulls for various cams. But be prepared to be undewhelmed :-) These are FLYING Volkswagen engines for which the design goal is maximum torque at an rpm suitable for directly driving a prop. But of interest to ramva-ites is the fact the engines are also designed for MAXIMUM RELIABILITY, which is spoken to by the HVX mods, also found in the same archive and which have been addressed here on ramva many, many times before. (But no one reads the archives, right? :-)

-Bob Hoover

PS -- You'll find drawings for the rest of the airplane -- or most of it -- in other Yahoo archives such as Fly5k Group and the overflow Fly5kfiles Group.

Reply to
Veeduber

"Veeduber" wrote

Yep, practically every day ... yet I still ask moronic questions.

-- Scott

Reply to
Scott H

Bob: Chicken Little and Foxy...... " Yer killen me". Thanks for the Cam info. I will be working with a new Cam this summer and it had never crossed my mind to clean the casting and smooth the corners. There are corners you know.

PS 94" of the white stuff so far, surfs up in my back yard bring your board.

Reply to
Steve

Dear Steve,

You're welcome.

That particular article came about after a guy paid some humungous amount for an an engine KIT (over five grand!), put it together according to the provided instrustions and had it last less than a hundred hours. He asked me to do the tear-down thinking he might have some legal recourse (he doesn't; that's the catch to buying a kit).

The engine was a piece of junk, nothing properly balanced, stock length rods on an 82mm crank and so forth but the main problem was that his after-market cam had shed a lot of chunkies which scored his oil pump. The kit instructions made no mention of how to prevent chunkie-attacks... nor properly breaking in the engine, etc. Then of course all the 'experts' had to have their say, about how many zillion engines they'd built and NEVER chamfered the cam, etc. and so on.

The usual 'Screw the Newbie' bullshit (like those lo-buck regrinds :-)

-Bob Hoover

PS -- I've SEEN snow... but only from a distance.

Reply to
Veeduber