Camper Top Questions. Need Help....Please!!!!

Hi all,

I have a '68 Westy that I am in the process of undoing the previous owners McGyvers. I have one question and one problem regarding the camper top.

First the question. Should the top of the canvas be attached to the inside of the mounting strip (1x2 fiberglassed to the inside bottom of the top) or the outside

of the mounting strip?

Now the problem. When the front hinges (the ones with the springs that hold the top open) are attached to the roof using the factory holes, the top will not close all the way. If the hinges are moved toward the rear of the bus and the front hole in the hinge is atttached to the rear hole in the roof (the rear hole in the hinge now has no corresponding hole in the roof) the top closes. This is how it was attached when I purchased it.....WTF??

Reply to
Fish

strip (1x2 fiberglassed to the inside bottom of the top) or the outside

IT attaches to the inside

and I would think your hinges are bent.

Reply to
Kafertoys

Thanks.

I will take the hinges out and check them, but they looked pretty straight. Could they have been replaced by a PO with the wrong type? Are there more than one type depending on the model of the top?

Reply to
Fish