Camshaft Choice

Hi All

I have a question for all the wise at RAMVA! I'm getting my engine rebuilt as a 1600dp and have the option of a non stock camshaft. I'm looking for more acceleration than higher rpm power. Would a Engle W100 or W110 be preferred? What would be the safest Advertised Duration to go up to I was thinking about 280 degrees? It will have a single carb to start with!

Many thanks for your help! Regards Kevin

Reply to
Kevin

Ilambert

If you intend to run a single carb and retain stock C.R. have a serious look at the Web.grind 111....

J.

Reply to
BergRace

Sorry, what is "Jetting change" on Weber duel ????

Yellow Godzilla.

"Ilambert" ¦b¶l¥ó news:COfTb.36476$ snipped-for-privacy@news4.srv.hcvlny.cv.net ¤¤¼¶¼g...

Reply to
Yellow Godzilla

Thanks

For the quick responses! I spoke to the mechanic today, he says they will regrind my cam to have a duration of around 276 Degrees which puts it in the Engle W100 region! He said it was a stage 1 cam, but I'm not sure what that means? This engine will run stock heads with stock valves so torque hopefully will be good!

Regards Kevin

Reply to
Kevin

Hi

I think he means that by changing the jets on the Webers it gives you a much wider option with regards to the cam, a Weber duel is either twin carbs or a single centermount twin barrel where one barrel feeds one side of the engine giving better efficiency!

Regards Kevin

Reply to
Kevin

Web Cam's T1 grind # 111 is very different, high lift and short duration to get max out of the stock low compression.

J.

Reply to
BergRace

Hi

What worry's me about the 111 grind is that according to Aircooled.Net it's very harsh on the valvetrain and I'm trying to build a longish lasting engine!

Out of interest does anyone know the torque and power increases that a Engle W100 or the Web Cam 111 produce? Would 10 - 15% be a reasonable increase or is it more like 5%?

Regards Kevin

Reply to
Kevin

Reply to
Ilambert

The good grinders here have the surfaces nitrated or whatever, to restore the durable surface finish.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

Thanks

I'll bear that in mind! Out of interest what happens when a cam wears out like that?

Regards Kevin

Reply to
Kevin

Power goes down, noise goes up. No dramatic display of smoke & fire, no roaring thunder or metal particles flying through the engine lid. Kinda disappointing. :)

Jan

Reply to
Jan

Reply to
Ilambert

Damn I was expecting fireworks and a rocket launched engine!!

Regards Kevin

Aircooled.Net

Reply to
Kevin

Do not forget that the base circle is reduced on a re-grind...

J.

Reply to
BergRace

My two cents. Forgive me. A standard engine with standard ignition, carburation, crankshaft and flywheel works best with standard cam. Changing cam only, will lead to only grief and forever trying to make it run right. James

Reply to
mira4

Not necessarily. If you weld more material on it, it won't. But still, I bought a race cam with a big base circle to start with.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

That's why you need to know what you are doing. You are 100% correct, a chance in one area requires several other parts of the engine to be changed accordingly, to keep the package in balance.

But the milder cams will work just fine with little more than just carb re-jetting. I'd replace the exhaust too.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

WELDING cast iron? Gimme a break.

-Bob Hoover

Reply to
Veeduber

Isn't it amazing how modern technology allows us to weld cast iron? :D (has been done for decades... and in this application it isn't subjected to a lot of stress, just wear)

Are you saying it's impossible to add material to a cam by welding, then grind it to whatever spec you want, then have it nitrated.. ?

Jan

Reply to
Jan