Can this Type 4 85-90C thermostat be used on a 1973 beetle with a type 1 engine?

Can this Type 4 85-90C thermostat be used on a 1973 beetle with a type

1 engine?

VW NOS type 4 bus thermostat 85/90 deg Price: $125 shipped

TIA!

Reply to
Jim Ed

I could remove the threaded fitting from a Type 1 thermostat and attempt to thread it onto the Type 4 thermostat so it would fit on a Type 1 engine. But, if I unscrew that fitting, would it harm the Type 1 thermostat? I could try heating it up first to make it easier to remove. I think the heat range would be OK since these were used on

1975-1975 Beetles with Fuel injection.

Reply to
Jim Ed

Have you seen these Type 1 thermostTs listed? Not new but a little lower in price and no mod needed. I have purchased from this vendor (awesome powdercoat) and they are a good company that is interested in quality.

Tim

Reply to
Taylor

I clicked the link and e-mailed the advertiser. He said he could ask the factory to make me one that opens at 80-85C. "The bottom female threads are stock 8MX1.25 & the top male thread is

4MX0.7 for the stock vertical control rod. "

Jim Ed