Car running rough

This is the car that I posted questions about bringing out of storage a few weeks ago. After getting all the bad gas out of the system it was running great and I had been driving it to work. Today on the way to work it started bucking and backfiring as I was driving down a hill about ten minutes into the drive. I pulled over and checked everything I could while it was sitting there. It restarted right away and was running real rough. Another check of the engine compartment showed bubbles in the fuel filter between the fuel pump and the carb. As I was noticing this, the engine smoothed out and since I was only 5 min from work, I got in and finished the drive with no problems. The problem resurfaced again on the way home. Again after about ten min. Letting the engine idle until it smoothed out again only got me another two to three minutes of drive time before it started again. The sequence was repeated three times to get home. I checked the timing and electrical stuff that I could while it was hot. Will check the valves in the morning. Any one have any ideas of other stuff to look for? Any ideas what I might be facing?

Reply to
Gordon Parks

First off, you should remove that fuel filter. Putting one in the pressurized line between the fuel pump and the carb is just asking for an engine fire.

Next, check that the fuel lines inside the engine compartment don't come into contact with the heat risers or manifold. When I bought my bug that was the first thing I had to address because it would have those same symptoms. I guess they call it getting vapor lock in the fuel line.

Reply to
Michael Cecil

Clogged fuel line.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

That would be semi clogged fuel line darling... :0]

J.

Reply to
P.J. Berg