Carb Problem

Hi All

I have a friend who has some major problem with his carb! It's a 34pict (I'm not sure which model though) on a 1600dp. The problem is that the car dies when cornering and often you have to pump the accelerator to get it revving and keep it running. Yet it starts perfectly and apparently idles fine! He also says it misses a lot. I suspect the float level is to low, could this cause stalling or loss of power while cornering? Any Ideas?

Many thanks Regards Kevin

Reply to
Kevin

Yes, low float level (or fuel level) can do that. With the engine cool (so dripping fuel doesn't ignite), take the top of the carb off (5 screws). Fuel level should be roughly 3/4" below the rim with the float still in place.

As an aside-I had one that did that too. And only on right-hand turns!! Messed with the carb for days to no avail.

The problem began to get a little worse and the stalling longer. Finally, I was able to figure out that it was an ignition problem! One wire to the Coil was ever so slightly loose and would lose contact when the car turned and the harness shifted a teeny bit!

Moral: Sometimes the obvious isn't obvious.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

Thanks Jim

I also suspected another culprit, I suspect his values aren't set right is he says it's missing a lot, a tight tappet could do that could it? I once had a condenser wire lose it's plastic cover and arc every now and again on the body causing the most annoying miss! Strange thing was every I spoke nicely it stopped! Only noticed it after I'd ripped everything else to pieces!!! Your moral is quite right!

Regards Kevin

Reply to
Kevin