carb question

I have a 34 pict carb on a 1600 dual port motor and a 009 dist. The car was running great other than a rusty gas tank which was restricting fuel flow at highway speeds causing it to stall out.... ran great around town though. I get deployed for over 3 months and my neighbor (who helped me sort out the wiring on this basket-case) decided to try to "tweak" the carb into running better. Now I can't keep the thing running unless the choke is 3/4 closed. I resealed the whole intake manifold and set the carb fast idle adjuster and volume screw according to this site

the distributor a little either way isn't helping in theslightest..... even treid swapping another carb on it to have the exact samething occur! Was hoping someone out there might smack me upside the headand point out the obvious because this is getting me pissed now..... I justwant to drive it this weekend! Thanks..... Also, I am currently running it out of a gas can and there are no filters, clogged or otherwise, in the fuel line right now.

Reply to
Mac

On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 14:28:02 -0500, "Mac" wrote: Was hoping someone out there might smack me upside the head

.

::smack::...lol..trying another carb and having it exhibit the same problems would lead me to check the fuel pump. If taht is fine move onto electrical...points ok? Valves adjusted?

..gareth

Reply to
Gary Tateosian

problems would lead me to check the fuel pump. If taht is fine move onto electrical...points ok? Valves adjusted?

I suppose I should have mentioned it in the first post..... It has an electric fuel pump and cleaned-out tunnel line, pointless ignition and the valves are adjusted correctly. It will run all day long as long as I hold the choke most of the way closed.

Reply to
Mac

I realize you said that you sealed the intake, but it sounds like a manifold leak to me.

Reply to
jjs

Reply to
jimt

I would have worked on it and given you guys a heads up but it was either raining or the girlfreind was dragging me behind her to go someplace saying "We never go anywhere!" with a pout on her face.

Reply to
Mac

..................I hate it when they do that.

Reply to
Tim Rogers

I figure I'll reseal my intake again and see where that get's me.....

Reply to
Mac

On Mon, 27 Oct 2003 12:18:51 -0500, "Tim Rogers" ran around screaming and yelling:

when she does, tim, just look her straight in the eyes and say "fine, bedroom or kitchen?"....either way you get to eat...LOL J

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

Well I resealed the intake again with the same results. Installed the nastiest carb I had lying around the garage and it seems to run pretty decent now!! I guess those other 2 carbs I was using have something wrong with them..... one of them came with the car and was professionally rebuilt! Anyway, thanks for the hints and pointers!

Reply to
Mac