Carbs, Made In China?

Which of these work and which leak at the throttle shaft? TIA

Reply to
Jim Ed

I bought one from CIP1 that was garbage. I fought with them for a replacement, it also was garbage. If memory serves me correctly the bad ones were in boxes that said "Pierburg". They are total crap, avoid at all costs.

After that experience I was so disgusted that I sent my 1989 dated casting to Rimco and had it rebushed for less than half the cost of the new one, and put it back on. That was several years ago, and it still works. That is your option #1 if you have an otherwise serviceable carb that just leaks at the throttle shaft.

Option #2, about a year ago, a friend of mine bought a brand new chinese 34pict-3 in an unmarked white box, and it was a fine, FINE piece of goods. Nicely finished all around, it even had the alternator style accelerator pump linkage(Score!). It was purchased at BAP import auto parts in Mesa, AZ. No idea who made it, all it said on the side was "Carburetor Made in China" on the casting where you would normally see the solex/brosol/VW logo. There was zero documentation in the box on who made it.

I jetted it, put it on...and it ran like a champ.

Good luck.

Chris

Reply to
halatos

I also bought a Pierburg. On initial tuning of the idle mixture the adjustment screw seemed a little tight in movement - turns out it was cross-threaded (stripped) from the factory (I doubt if a human being ever tests these things.) I got a partial refund and then bought an Empi version which has worked OK. If I had it to do again, I'd grab an old German Solex, send it out for new shaft bearings and surfacing and throw a good quality kit on it. It doesn't matter who sent what tooling to China, the German stuff is just better from the start.

Reply to
Bill