CC'ing your heads (L O N G!)

oops. Well just shoot me. Lock, stock and barrel?

Reply to
jjs

On Sat, 29 May 2004 23:18:02 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@xyzzy.stafford.net (jjs) ran around screaming and yelling:

nah, we like you here.... JT

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

Dear PJ,

I understand what you're saying and agree. Most subscribers to this Newsgroup don't and won't.

Were I to describe the VW as anything other than 60hp most will assume I'm talking about something from 1937 and immediately lose interest. THEIR Volkswagen has 60hp... everybody knows that; even all the magazines say so.

So they think they own a 60hp bug. No problem, I've simply used that as the foundation to support my soap box. Hopefully some of them will get the real message.

-Bob Hoover

Reply to
Veeduber

horsepower's-worth of

................I guess I'm not typing very clearly. I meant to say that I'm looking for about 90 hp, maybe a little more but not much more. My cost is going to run about $1500 but that's because the PO has already put at least $4k into it almost 17k miles ago (full flow Berg oil system with remote filter, new case, machine-in 88mm cylinders, lightened flywheel, Berg heavy pulley, counter-weighted crankshaft, new rods, dynamic balancing, Berg semi-hemi cut heads, solid rocker shafts, 911 swivel foot adjusting screws, Berg oil pump, stock---camshaft-FI type exhaust-L Jetronic FI, etc., etc.). Along with the new level 3 heads, I'm planning to install a 118 grind WebCam & lifter kit. How many miles? I log about 6k miles a year during the warm weather months only. My expectation is to get at least five years of use before replacing the exhaust valves along with whatever else needs attention upon teardown and inspection. Naturally, this is a projection and is possibly unrealistic. I'm committed to handling whatever does happen and will keep this group informed along the way.

Reply to
Tim Rogers

And tell you what, my son? ;-)

Is that supposed to be news to me? :-X

Reply to
Shaggie

I don't know whether you're too cynical to even care or not, but as one of those "younger hands" I find your stuff facinating to read. Even if the chances of me applying much of it are near nil I told my newsreader to hilight any post you make to make sure I don't miss it. :p

The technical commentary ends up being very easy to read and even if it's a fraction of a percent being less of a dumbass about engine maintainence feels good.

Having grown up in the house of a career mechanic and somehow getting out of youth with only a rudimentary understanding of maintenence is something I curse myself for almost daily.

Reply to
Seth Graham

Don't feel alone. I did the same thing with carpentry.

Max

Reply to
Max Welton

Sheeeeeot daaawg! My pappy was a pimp and I didn't miss out on a THANG!!! WOOT WOOT!!!! ;-)

Reply to
Shaggie

I have read your references to Deming in a couple of your posts. I don't think the Volkswagen phenomenom can be laid at the feet of Deming's quality manifesto, the Japanese were the ones who took him to heart. Heinz Nordhoff approached quality from a more personal perspective, one that dovetailed beautifully with the wounded Germany's desire to restore her heritage of engineering excellence. Our current world seems to have thrown any notions such as pride or heritage out the window in the name of "profitability" and "efficiency." The beautiful quality of a Volkswagen in the 60's was a gift offered with pride. I see no manufacturer extant with the courage to ignite another sensationally successful enterprise as the VW story. The aftermarket hucksters are but a mirror of some unsettling trends that point to our loss of shared purpose as citizens of a representative democracy, we are but consumers of an international corporate oligarchy now. I think it sucks. Colin

Reply to
Colin