CDI and fuel Injection?

Are there any issues with putting a CDI in a 77 type 2? Is it even possible for that matter? Is there anyone who has done it and can comment on the results.

Thanks in advance,

Andreas

Reply to
Andreas_R

A bit wide of the topic, but......I've looked at the aftermarket programmable engine control units that you can get. They will manage an ignition/EFI system right down to the gnat's eyebrow, and can be used with off the shelf fuel injection components. It takes some time to build and tune the system, but once it's done you'd have the sweetest running aircooled VW you can imagine. The trouble is that the cheap ones still seem to be over $1500. You'd have to have a pretty spiffy engine to want to bolt on that kind of money.

I've been mulling over a less elaborate unit to eliminate the distributor and control a pack of coils for ignition. You could feed it RPM, vacuum, crank position, and even air and engine temp, knock sensing and feedback from an O2 sensor if you wanted to go that far. It would control your spark timing precisely. Such a unit wouldn't be too hard to develop based on a little PIC microcomputer. Once the software was coded, you could make the units pretty inexpensively, and they'd be very reliable.

Hmmmm.... Walt

Reply to
WJ

...dunno. You might want to keep an eye on this though....this is fairly new (as far as I know) and I'd want to see some testing....which fortunately it seems from a thread on STF that Jake will be doing in the future...it looks good on paper anyhow..but I wasnh't at CYW to see it in person:

...good luck,

Gareth

Reply to
Gary Tateosian

Tooo complex for my dim brain. :) WTF is that car? I feel compelled to race it.

Reply to
jjs

check MegaSquirt

they have a coupleof success stories on beetles. a full ECU kit is US$140 and you build and tune it yourself.

Reply to
Eduardo Kaftanski

Thank you! I have the site bookmarked. I knew someone had to be doing this.

Walt

Reply to
WJ

visit also the link to 'glens garage'. he packages all the needed parts, including the case, in neatly packaged boxes that make the assembly easier....

(and no, I have not built one yet, as the bug is for sale. i will convert a Peugeot 405 later this year though...)

Reply to
Eduardo Kaftanski

See

also.

Reply to
David Gravereaux

Why is it that the name MegaSquirt always reminds me of those little guys running outside with supersoaker water guns. GigaCool!

Reply to
Olli Lammi

Reply to
Andreas_R

Reading about Megasquirt makes me want to go pee.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

Ok Jan. I don't want to hear how you played "war" outside when you were little. (Or are they still in to it as over 30 year olds...)

Reply to
Olli Lammi