Change of compression due to cylinder to block gasket?!

HI,

I'm in the process of putting new cylinders and heads on my engine. I've read the articles NOT to put the paper gasket from cylinder to block - so I won't. I've read to use a sealent, choices varied, Jan mentioned a thin gasket sealant ( not sure what) as there were thoughts a "thick" sealant ie., permatex will change the compression ratio.

So do I have to ...in using a permatex - which is available here; put thin layer on block and cylinder seat -

-push cylinder to block, put heads on; torque head nuts to proper specs, take head off, this will "seat" the cylinder true to block, THEN measure distance from piston top to cylinder top??

This seems like some extra work that I've not herard being done.

Otherwise if there is concern that a layer of sealant will change the CR, why is this not suggested to be done? ie, the initial bolting of head to compress the sealant for final CR measurement?

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what was written before - is Jan's opinion not correct?

Thanks for clarifying! Matt S

I thought this would be less complicated, but I'm learning...

Jan wrote: Apr 1 2004, 9:09 pm ......Just note that removing the paper gasket will raise the compression ratio ever so slightly. And using "RTV Silicone sealant" will result in lower CR than using the (in my opinion) proper, thin sealant. Conclusion? Use the rtv silly-cone sealant if you found a paper gasket and decided to leave it out.

End result is close to being same CR. (The difference in CR is marginal this way anyhow, I'm just saying it to reveal some of the "finer details" I talked about yesterday :) )

Reply to
Matt S