Changing ignition lock tumblers

Can the ignition lock be changed to match a new door lock? I bought new matching door locks and would rather have the new locks/and keys for my KG.

How difficult is it to remove the ignition lock?

-- Mel P.

77 Std FI Bug & 70 Ghia Cabrio. (being assembled)

PARTS FOR SALE:

Mel P.

Hiya Mel,

I'm assuming here that you are referring to your 70 KG. IIRC, you should now have a "K" series ignition lock, assuming everything is still stock. These ignition locks are NOT made to be serviced and rekeyed. It is possible to get them apart and change/modify the tumblers. But it is next to impossible to reassemble them to a serviceable state.

My advice would be to change out the doorlocks to fit the ignition. That is a very "do-able" proposition.

Mike

1970 Bus - The Ruptured Duck
Reply to
Bookwus1

It's often easier to change the door keys than the ignition keys. It's fairly easy to get the ignition lock out, see your Bentley manual, but the lock is often swaged together, while the door locks are rather easy to take apart.

A good locksmith can fix you up. Gabriel's VW locks in CA specializes in this just for guys like you.

-

Jim Adney

This is the man to talk to. He is the master of VW locks

I had him fix all my locks, he is very professional and honest. Dan

Reply to
EuroBug