Cheap Tool for Adjusting Steering Box End Play - UPDATE

A week or so ago I posted the following:

********

"Im talking about adjusting the end play on the steering box. As you know, one has have to loosen the large nut. I use a small monkey - pipe - wrench for this purpose. Adjusting the end play normally requires a special tool. But, I've located a dirt cheap - but very effective tool for this purpose.

If you go to Ace Hardware - in the lawnmower equipment section - you'll find a combination sparkplug wrench and screw driver. On the end opposite the screw driver blade is welded a 2-sided "socket" that fits 2 sizes of spark plugs - except that the sockets are 6 sided on the outside surface as well as inside. The whole thing looks a little like an 6-sided corncob pipe on top and a smaller version on the bottom. (Can you picture what I'm trying to describe???) The larger socket just happens to fit exactly and snuggly inside the end play adjuster. It fits perfectly! You simply use the screwdriver portion as the handle to turn the "adjuster"! "

*********************

Well, I may have caused some confusion, so I want to clear things up.

I remembered the tool as being a double sided sparkplug "wrench", "with a screw driver at the opposite end". Some of you did go to Ace and purchase one of the 2 different - 2 ended, spark plug wrenches. If it works, great; however, I doubt that it will because of clearance problems. Plus, the metal is think and deforms pretty easily.

Actually the tool is a "T-wrench" used to adjust the chain, etc. on a chain saw. I did buy it at Ace - but Ace tells me they don't stock it. So, someone must have sold me the "T-Wrench" that had fallen out of a gas powered chainsaw box!! A "T-Wrench" looks like ... a larger socket pointing up and a smaller socket facing down (assembly is only 2-3 inches tall)- with a screw driver extending out perpendicularly about 8 inches. The steel used is heavy gauge. Here is what one looks like... (Please, no dirty comments about my "drawing abilities"!!!) [ ] ' '=====================[] [ ]

You can track one down at a shop that sells chainsaws - just tell them you want a "T-wrench"! Locally, I was quoted 7 or 8 dollars - a rip off. However, I located a source on the internet for $2.55 each!! Check out Manufacturers Supply at:

They'relocated in Wisconsin. Sorry for the confusion!

Pete Snyder

77 Beetle (and cheap, but effective sterring adjustment tool!)
Reply to
Pete Snyder

pbeyer

Pete ("another Pete"):

Actually there's only one! Here's how to find it!

  1. go to
    type in "t-wrench" in the search box near the top of the page3. you'll get a list of t-wrenches. The last one says: "32-8977 - t-wrench for chain saws - .55"
  2. double click on this item and you'll see a picture of what I've been trying to describe. The description says the larger socket fits (over) a 19 mm nut. This agrees with the t-wrench I have. Now, the
6-sided exterior of the larger socket exactly fits inside the 6-side interior of the end play adjuster on the standard beetle steering box.

THE ACTUAL ADJUSTMENT PROCESS

As for adjusting the end play, my Haynes, Clymer and Bentley manuals all describe the process. John Muir also briefly describes the process in "How to Keep Your Volkswagen Alive". If someone needs instructions, I could quietly email something. Just send me an email message asking for instructions!!

Pete Snyder

77 Beetle (and owner of the correct "T-wrench")
Reply to
Pete Snyder