Classic Car Insurance help...

Anyone have any good leads for classic car insurance. My regular insurance company is getting too expensive to insure all my VWs with. Low mileage restrictions are ok, but I don't keep them in a garage (not restored). I've seen posts in the distant past on various companies, but I'm looking for recommendations.

Thanks for any info Jason in Albuquerque

(the email address doesn't work, post replies)

Reply to
Lantrip

Ben Boyle

Hey Jason! I thought I was the only Ramva-ite in ABQ. Sorry I don't have any leads on classic car insurance here, but for an amusing/frustrating story of another's quest for insurance, you should see John Henry's

scroll down to "the paper chase." Maybe it will inspire you? Anyway, being that you're in ABQ, do you buy most of your parts atForeign Aide? What do you think of them?~Anthony

Reply to
Anthony

if you only kept them in a garage and it was truly a hobby vehicle you would be able to use

I got a 10,000 replacement and 100,000 liability policy from them for $95.00 a year. Haven't ever filed a claim , but they have been around for ages.

alot better than my state farm 6 month policy @ $236.00

but I really only put maybe 400 miles a year on my car

good luck

Reply to
Skipnkuf

Try Haggerty at

Their rates are very competitive and there are no mileage or line of sight requirements. I have four classics insured with them and will be adding a fifth to the policy shortly. Note: They do not permit the cars to be used for commutation to school or work, and you must have a separate daily driver.

Tim

Lantrip wrote:

Reply to
The Guy

Make that three of us in Albuquerque, '70 standard Bug, screaming lime green, lowered.

Reply to
Douglas

I live in NY and pay $500 for regular insurance per year. I have two daily drivers. But I figured it would be nice to pay only $148 per year and be able to use plates of the year on the car.

Everything sounded great till I found out the car could not be used as a spare in case one of my other cars we down. I then figured, I could kill someone with my 73 bug just as easy as a guy in Vette. So instead of losing my home, I will pay the $500 bucks. When it comes to paying out big, insurance companies look for any loop holes.

Joe Cali

Reply to
Joe Cali - Next Generation-USA

Hey Anthony. There was a couple other local participating in this newsgroup but haven't seen 'em in a while. I hit up Furn Aide, General Parts (good machine work) and occasionally Discount. If you're interested in meeting other locals with the addiction, check out

Jason in Albuquerque

Reply to
Lantrip

Are you around the University Area? I might have seen your car. Are you a member of the Albuquerque Air Alliance? I went to a get-together ya'll had at Los Altos park. Do you have wide-five polished five spokes? Cuz if you're who I think you are, your car kicks ass! ~Anthony

Reply to
Anthony

oh yeah, so you can spot me in the future, yellow 73 std. with black fenders on the back. Stock ride height, but soon will have porsche 2 liter rims on it. (and a new paint job...yellow again, but the whole thing!)

Reply to
Anthony

I live in NJ, and auto insurance here is like having a second mortgage. But with multi vehicle discounts, a beater can be added to the policy at a negligible cost due to the discount applied to the first vehicle.

The reason that Agencies like Haggerty can write collector policies with such reasonable rates is due to restrictions on daily driver usage. Reduced risk = reduced premiums.

On the flip side, I have no insurance based mileage restrictions on my collector cars. If I want, I can take one on a vacation trip and drive to California and back.

The bottom line is that there are opportunities to save money on collector car insurance IF your intended usage fits within the restrictions of the policy. If you require your second vehicle as a backup to the first, then this type of policy would not be appropriate for you.

Tim

Joe Cali - Next Generati> I live in NY and pay $500 for regular insurance per year. I have two daily

Reply to
The Guy

Reply to
Ben Boyle

Interesting. I specifically asked about mileage restrictions and line of sight when I first took coverage with then and was told that neither item was a problem. I should probably do a quick read of the new policy and see if any mileage restrictions have been inserted since I first took coverage with them 3 years ago.

Tim

Ben Boyle wrote:

Reply to
The Guy

Yeah, I'm a member of the club, but there are 4 or 5 Jasons in the club. I think I drove a crusty blue Oval to the Los Altos get-together.

Jason in Albuquerque

Reply to
Lantrip

My wife and I each have a car we use for work. No way to get to work unless we drive. If one is down out comes the Bug. If I had Classic Car Insurance and hit a kid that jumps out from between two parked cars, I can kiss everything I own goodbye. Classic Car insurance is for people that only use it for what the company states or you can be in big trouble.

I hear alot of stories about how guys drive all over with out any worries. Well I hope their luck don't run out. They only have to screw up once.

Joe

Reply to
Joe Cali - Next Generation-USA

Hey Ben,

I just reviewed both my policy and the Hagerty WEB site. There are no mileage restrictions listed anywhere. I would be willing to bet that your mileage restrictions are due to your state DMV and the type registration you have for the vehicle.

If I opted for Historic or Hot Rod plates on any of my cars, then the State would limit the annual mileage per vehicle. However, since all of my vehicles have "regular" registrations and are subject to the required periodic vehicle inspections, no mileage restrictions apply.

Tim

Reply to
The Guy

You are absolutely correct. Failure to the terms and conditions of auto incurance coverage can have dire consequences.

Tim

Joe Cali - Next Generati> My wife and I each have a car we use for work. No way to get to work unless

Reply to
The Guy

Reply to
Ben Boyle

I have hagerty on my Puma also and think they are a very good company as long as you are honest with them. No problems.

href="

">Den's 1978Puma

Reply to
Dennis Wik

Like one of you guys said if you are going to go by the rules no problem. Or even a hood flying off or a broken windshield, no problem. But hit someone on your way to work and you can be sure you daily travel schedule for the last year will be investigated. 7:00am on a week day on your normal route to work, hmmmm.

Joe

message

competitive