clean electis stand

What's the best way to clean the aluminum alternator stand. A lot of elbow grease?Any tips

Reply to
Jeff Barnes

that's funny, (not the cleaning part) I was trying to do the exact same thing and gave up after 1/2 hour while realizing that it will be impossible to clean out all those little cranies and holes. So I went to my local shop and asked them to media blast it. Took my intake end castings along. Took them like 10 minutes, came out totaly nice and white. all for $15. The only problem with this is to keep your hands off of them after media blasting, your finger prints will oxidize onto it.

Hope this helps,

Ant> What's the best way to clean the aluminum alternator stand. A lot of elbow

Reply to
anton

I own a small sand blaster and have used it on the tins. It leaves a rough and dull surface not like its polished. Walnut shells may due the trick,but I hate to seek the shells for a small item. I am using simple green and a plastic scrub brush. I have all winter to do it in Maine.I tried rustolume silver color with a wrinkle in it on my heating boxes that work out well and looks like the real metal surface not silver paint.I would like to use it on my regulatory ,oil filler stand. But paint on aluminum does not work well I guess. Why do they use copper nuts on the exhaust studs. Dis-similar metals corrode! Maybe brass ? this is a question for a expert in metallurgy>

Reply to
Jeff Barnes

I use very fine steel wool to clean the generator stand and end castings also works well on the engine case.

Mario V> I own a small sand blaster and have used it on the tins. It leaves a rough

2000cwn.googlegroups.com...
Reply to
Kafertoys

Mario Vintage Werks resto

i've been known to dunk parts (aluminum) into a bucket of 50/50 muratic acid/water.... just afew seconds and it's like brand new...dulls it a bit, but is then ready for primer and paint... i do NOT dunk any aluminum parts with threads in it..... they will go away very quiclkly...

Reply to
Joey Tribiani