clunking sound

My wife's '60 rag on a '68 pan has developed an intermittent "clunking" sound coming from either the trans or the axles. There is no noise when the car is not moving and the engine is running so the problem would appear to not be coming from the engine. The trans shifts through all the gears with no grinding. The clunking noise is not only intermittent, meaning I heard it once quite audibly and then I reversed the car and went forward and it was gone, but is rythmic "ca-lunk-ca-lunk ca-lunk." Anyway, Ihave ot go to work today and cannot play with it until this afternoon. Any reccomendations on what to look for? Could something go haywire inside the trans to cause a very loud and nasty sound that comes and goes even though the trans seems to work fine? BTW, its a stock 1600 dp with a freeway flyer trans of unknown mileage.

--Dan E

Reply to
Braukuche

Check lug nuts (bolts) AND axle nuts first.

'68 should be swing axle; could possibly be fulcrum plates locking momentarily.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

Jim, what are the "fulcrum plates"? I drove the car around for a half hour today and no noises so I am stumped.

--Dan E

Reply to
Braukuche

#6 Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

What could cause the fulcrum plates to temp han up? I know I need to adjust my torsion bars as the ass end of my bug is too low, could that cause the problem?

--Dan E

Reply to
Braukuche

When the axles are at a severe angle, the axle goes thru some wild gyrations each turn of the axle and the fulcrum plates need to slide around (under load). I think there is a fair chance this is the problem.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

These plates and the axle flat between them can also become worn over time, resulting in excess clearance. Any lack of lubrication can accellerate the wear as well.

Max

Reply to
Max Welton