Clutch Cable

I just installed a new Bowden (Clutch Cable) Tube and the transmission bracket for it. After four years of rebuilding it's nice to see you can miss something so visble (for the three years the body was off the chassis).

Now that I've done this, the clutch cable seems to be about 1/4 inch too short to get the nut back on. The car has a 1970 chassis and transaxle (57 body). I've checked to see if the tube was seated fully (seems ok). I checked the parts number (seems ok). There are different length cables but since only one year is shorter (1961), I'm assuming it is unlikely this. The amount of sag in the bowden tube seems ok as well.

Anyone have any ideas? Does anyone know how long the bowden tube should be for a 1970 chassis? My next step is to take the cable out later today (after I finish bleeding the brakes) to measure it.

Thx DH

Reply to
David Holland

I thought that there are different length clutch cables for the Type 1s. I usually keep 4 different sizes around. So you are saying you have the longest available for a Type 1? Maybe that Bowden tube is making too big a curve in it. Or you have too many washers on it.

later, dave (One out of many Daves)

Reply to
dave

transaxle

Two possibilites come to mind. The pedal stop plate could be holding the clutch pedal too far forward. The bentley specifies a dimension for the distance from the end of the pedal to the forward firewall, I don't have the exact distance handy but perhaps someone else does. The other possibility, the hook on the end of the cable at the pedal cluster isn't properly seated. That might be hanging up the cable enough to keep it from pulling all the way rearward.

It could also be that you have too many washers at the bracket end of the bowden tube thus sagging it too much and taking up the slack in the cable.

In my experience I've usually had to physically pull the clutch release lever towards the front of the car when getting the wingnut started. Chris

Reply to
Hal

Thanks, I haven't pulled the cable to measure it yet.

From the information I've been able to dig up, the different cable lengths are:

50 to 60 2268mm 61 2250mm 62 to 71 2260mm 72 to 74 2281mm 74 to 79 2268mm

Given 61 is the only year with the shortest length, I figured it would be low odds the guy who put it in would use one too short. However, who knows. He's also the guy who removed the bracket from the transmission for the Bowden tube.

I think I'm going to have to pull it to double check.

Thx DH

dave wrote:

Reply to
David Holland

Thanks, I adjusted the pedal top last night to give maximum pedal travel. I help a wee bit but still not enough. I don't have any wahsers installed right now.

I think I'll pull the cable later to double check it's length. I'll also check where the hook attaches to see if it's getting hung up at all.

Thx DH

Hal wrote:

Reply to
David Holland

Make SURE that the front end of the Bowden tube is actually slipped over the end of the steel tube exiting the body. I think they slide over about 1 cm. I occasionally see these installed wrong there.

-

Jim Adney