Clutch plate removal

I need to remove the old flywheel/clutch assembly from my old engine and transfer it to the new one. Both are AR-code 1300's, so should be interchangeable.

To remove the flywheel, one must also remove the outer clutch housing, which is held in place by several allen-headed bolts (hex bolts?). Using the correct size allen key, I CANNOT undo these as they are too tight! any secret tips in getting them off?

Also the old engine came from a semi-auto, so therefore had the semi- auto oil pump (easily replaced) and clutch pressure plate. You can see it in the photo below:

Again, any tips on removing this? I have tried bolting a large iron bar to a scrap front pully, but this just makes the engine rock about, despite my brother standing on it!

Reply to
Howard Rose

The bolts shouldn't be that tight; someone overtorqued. Use a length of pipe on the allen wrench. If that fails, impact or else use a pipe wrench on the head.

You would need an iron bar about 1 meter long bolted to the pulley or to the drive plate. The alternative is to cart the whole lump to a tire repair shop and ask them to impact (rattle gun) the nut off.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

I am with Speedy Jim here....................impact gun would make your life easier for the large center bolt in the 'driveplate'! ;-)

I have seen some butchers use a chisel and a hammer striking the bolt in the CCW direction, but I don't like that since it may try to damage your crank bearings.

BTW those 4 little torque converter bolts should not give you any trouble coming out unless they are very rusted to the driveplate.

JMHO

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1