Clutch slipping

Hi All,

I recently changed the clutch disk on my 73 beetle. It was slipping so I bought a new one. When I pulled out the old one, it didn't look much thinner than the new one, but I put the new one in anyway. Well, its still slipping.

I figure the clutch plate must be no good? I've never had this problem with several other high mileage bugs I've had, but that is the only thing I can think of. I have the clutch adjusted properly, and even gave it some extra freeplay just to rule out a cable binding problem.

Is there a way to test a clutch plate without installing it in the car? I have several used ones laying around. I would like to avoid buying a new one as this is an off road bush buggy machine that I don't like to put money into unless I really have to.

Thanks.

Ryan Lester.

1974 Super Beetle "Plowbug" 1974 Super Beetle "Sun Bug" 1973 Beetle "Monster Bug"
Ryan Lester

Do you have a scale that's intended for weighing people? Put a supposedly good pressure plate on the scale, then step on the center (fingers or mating ring, whichever type it is) hard enough to make it collapse. Note at what weight reading it occured. Or at what weight load it bounced back up as you eased up on the pressure. It takes quite a bit of weight.

Repeat with the suspect PP to compare force needed to compress it.

Just an idea for the home mechanic.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

This will sound crazy, but check the splines on the rear drums. (Ask me how I know...)

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

On 22 Jun 2004 10:12:26 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@cyclonegt.com (Ryan Lester) wrote: ...my guess is that the flywheel was improperly resurfaced.

...Gareth

Reply to
Gary Tateosian

My neighbor who's got like 12 bugs, know why, too. He bought a "clutch slipping" one recently and fixed the bad axle/drum and resold it.

Reply to
David Gravereaux

Excellent idea Jan, I'll be sure to try this whenever I get around to pulling the motor out.

Thanks.

Ryan.

Reply to
Ryan Lester

Didn't think of that. Funny, it only slips in third or fourth gear, or climbing a really steep hill (baja style). Would stripped axle threads have the same symptoms?

Ryan.

Reply to
Ryan Lester

More like a clunking slip than a smooth slip.

Reply to
David Gravereaux