clutch stuff (shudder, adjustment)

Hullo,

I have been trying to figure out what would cause my '66 beetle to shudder when clutch starts to engage. This started after I had my tranny and clutch changed.

After much searching (bentley manual, here, lots of other sites), common cause seems to inadequate sag in the bowden tube.

Before I start adding washers to increase the sag (it does have some sag), I would like to know a few things:

- What problems would arise if the bowden tube had too much sag?

- I have the 3 finger pressure plate, can the weakening of its spring cause the shudder?

On to the adjustment bit. The clutch seems to engage towards the top of the clutch pedal travel, rather than about halfway (which is what am used to). So about 3/4 of the clutch pedal travel (bottom to up) seems to have no effect. Is this a simple matter of adjustment by tightening the winged nut at the end of the clutch cable?

Would like to add my thanks to John Henry (bugshop.org), Speedy Jim (hope you are fully recovered), Bob Hoover (keep the blog going, I appreciate the effort), ramva regulars and many others who dedicate their time to helping novices like myself on how to keep their bugs going.

Joseph

Reply to
klashniv

Did you have this problem before the new clutch?

engine/trans mounts, bent disc, warped flywheel or pressure plate, improper operating release bearing or cable which could be caused by cable tube broken away from frame/tunnel.

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

Reply to
klashniv

try to get the correct sag on the bowden tube... do you know what style of clutch disc was installed? If it is a solid center, instead of the sprung center, you may always have a little chatter until you learn how to overcome it..

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

AND how is that release bearing arm on that used transmission? Did you use a new release bearing too?

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

Reply to
klashniv

clutch is standard

Reply to
klashniv

Ok, I did the clutch pedal adjustment, pedal travel is fine now.

Added 2 washers to bowden tube (it now has a total of 4!). Am certain bowden tube bend is probably within spec (no I have not measured, just eyeballed it).

Shuddering continues :(, must be something else. Pressure plate?

Joseph

Reply to
klashniv

now it's down to troubleshooting and eliminating possibilites, just as you have been.... how are your transaxle mounts? (sorry if you've answered this already, I simply can't remember).... do you have any oil leakage at the bottom of the bellhousing to engine junction? Oil on the clutch disc can cause chatter... Also, you said the clutch disc was "standard", but if you order a replacement (standard) you really never know whether it's sprung center or solid center until you receive it if it's not specific in the ad(both are sold as a standard replacement).... did you look at the disc? can probably find pics if you are unsure of the differences...

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

could some grease gotten on the clutch ? say an over-greased pilot b'ring.

Reply to
Devo

Check mounts. If they are good and the clutch tubing is good and still attached to the tunnel then.... You might have to recheck the pressure plate and clutch disc. Maybe the pressure plate was not evenly torqued down or the disc is not straight. Please check the release bearing arm/fork since I have seen them bent and even cracked without looking so. Look more carefully! 8^)

I had to redo the clutch in a '90 Jetta due to the new pressure plate and the new flywheel not getting along creating chatter. I had to change the flywheel and put the used one back on. NOT FUN to do it twice in one day,

3-4 hours each time! lol YOURS is easy to pull out. ;-)
Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

I eventually took it to a mechanic who replaced the pressure plate, problem solved!

Thank to all who took the time to help me troubleshoot.

Joseph

Reply to
klashniv

Once , we had this problem. and it turned out the rivets on the driven plate had loosened. we were going to check the trans mounts next.

Good Luck !

Reply to
Devo

how would one determine if the tube has come detached in the tunnel? I've seen such a repair job in Hot VW's the mag. T.I.A.

Reply to
Devo

You can remove that inspection plate under the rear seat so you can view that tube and see if it is loose. ;-) It is welded at that location and also closer to the pedal assembly. So if you can easily move it by hand or it moves when you press down the clutch pedal.......there might be a problem.

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

congrats! ;-)

Reply to