coil wiring?

I need some help with the "correct" coil/distributor wiring configuration on a 74 super beetle. I made a very big mistake by not marking the wiring as well as I should have when removing the engine. One of my tags came off and one of the spade clips came off also. It has been quite some time since I have had time to work on the bug and I really need some advice. The engine is 1641cc.

Thanks

Buggrn 74

Reply to
buggrn 74

very simple Mr. B....there should be two or three connections to the Positive side of the coil...one (black) from the ignition switch, one to the carb for the electric choke element and idle shutoff solenoid, and a third for the power to the backup lights....the Negative should have only one wire from the points/condensor unless you have installed a tach..if you have a tach then the tach's trigger wire is also connected to the Negative side... check here for a nice reference...:

(how did i do Jim?)

------------------- Chris Perdue

*All opinions are those of the author of this post* "Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug"
reply take your PANTS off
Reply to
Chris Perdue

Just fine!

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Coil negative terminal: Only the small wire from the distributor goes here, plus a possible aftermarket tach signal wire.

coil positive terminal: Gets fed +12V from teh wiring harness, splits there and provides +12V for idle solenoid and choke on the stock carburatos.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

Hey guys,

Thanks for the help, I appreciate it. Will do just that today. :-)

Reply to
buggrn 74

Plus a possible grey/green wire that eventually goes from the harness into the "computer" socket in the engine bay. This only, if the car is equipped with the socket (-71 and later I think).

Reply to
Olli Lammi

wooohoooo....thanks jim...

------------------- Chris Perdue

*All opinions are those of the author of this post* "Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug"
reply take your PANTS off
Reply to
Chris Perdue

Hi all.As the day aproaches to fire that sucker off,I still have several wire issues.I must be missing something on the Bentley chart but I still have a red/white large wire that goes from the positive post to ?Considering my bus's('72 Westy)past conversion to T1/generator,should this wire even be there?I know that once I got the correct regulator mounted in the correct place,the wiring started making sense.Could this be a left over that shouldn't be there?Steve

Reply to
Ilambert

Just a note to let you all know that the wiring help you gave me worked like clock work!

As it turned out I only had 2 wires that I didn't know about. One was a black wire that turned out being the positive lead from the ignition and the other , which I thought was the hot lead because it was RED....was the previous owners splice job for the oil sending unit.

Again thanks!

Rog (Buggrn 74)

Reply to
buggrn 74