compond-curving new auto carpet? carpet glues, etc-ghia firewall?

regarding 'front floorboard to kick-wall' and similar areas: are some new automotive carpets steam (or 'electric heat gun') bendable into compound curves? if so, might I be able to, say, bend them to contour-follow compund curves similar to that of a quarter the way around a regular softball? what 'secret' method do trim shops USE to 'normally' bend carpets in 'compound curves'?

equally puzzling: I'm needing to recarpet interior face of my karmann ghia firewall (normally carpeted from factory). what carpeting adhesive ('normal' carpet adhesive OR otherwise, eg: epoxy? 'liquid nails'construction adhesive? etc) would offer the BEST heat resistance/strength over time? the car is air-cooled, so engine runs HOT, and florida is ALSO very hot...we're lookin' @ a _very_ high heat vertical firewall carpet install. the original 'spray glue' has failed entirely, and both the carpet and the batting behind it have been 'flat on the back floor' for years...

so, are there 'wall to wall carpet tack strips' that are made _entirely_ of sheet metal? the ones used normally in home carpet installs are laminated wood, right? I'd like to 'do the job once and have it last' as opposed to 'trying out lots of spray glues'... some pop rivets (thru the firewall/fender washers?) might be acceptable , but, nuts and bolts wouldn't be 'so pleasing' -> the top of the firewall 'shows' in engine compartment ... so??

thanks for ideas, tips, and pointers :-)

Reply to
bill yohler

I used regular contact cement onmy Bug three years ago and it is still holding fine.

--Dan E

Reply to
Braukuche