Confused by the numbers.

I have a strange '77 Type 2 Microbus. My daughter would tell you that it is very strange, but for different reasons. :-)

It was built and sold in Germany, so some of the parts don't follow the same lines as '77 microbus' sold here in the US. I have already asked some questions on here about parts that show up in the parts books that don't match what is coming off my bus during its restore. And I thank you guys for the great advice given so far.

So here is the problem. The bus when it came off the manufacturing line was electric (at least this is what I have been told), it does seem feasible as there is a large hole (2 in diameter) in the back where the plug-in was located. At some time in the last 27 years, the electric motor was removed and replaced with a gas engine and manual transmission.

The engine has a single carborator, so I assume 1600cc engine. However, I am not sure. The engine number is AJ063911 with a firing order of 1-4-3-2, which I pulled off the block just below the generator pedestal. This 'AJ' would indicate a 1975 Type 1 Engine according to some information I found in this forums archives. This is also validate by the bentley service manual as it has the '77 type

2 vehicles having a 2000cc engine with electronic fuel injection. Clearly the engine that was put in my bus is not the 2000CC fuel injected engine as it has a single carborator.

Does the 'AJ' truly indicate a type 1 engine as I found on this forum, put there in 1996? Is it possible to have a type 1 engine in a type 2 body? If this is a type 1 engine, should I buy another service manual for a type 1 VW bug for the engine and possibly transmission information? The type 2 service manual I have does not seem to be too far off, but I am worried about torque settings, maintenance item, and precedures that may very slightly by type.

Does anyone know what the matching 4 speed manual transmission for a type 1 engine would be? Is there multiple ones available(hopefully not for simplicity reasons)? Where can I look on the transmission to get a serial number or some other indicator as to which trnasmission it is? I am going to have to work on the CV joints shortly and don't want to order the wrong part numbers.

Any detectives out there who can help me put this mystery to bed? It would be nice to be able to order parts with a little confidence that what will show up will be what I need.

Chuck

Reply to
Chuck Townsley

Your AJ is closer to a '76 (for what that's worth). They were fuel injected Type 1 engines. Basically the same as '71 thru '74 except the heads, which used different valves.

The Bus manual covers the '71 1600cc engine well enough that you don't really need another manual.

As for the tranny, there were 3 case versions: early "3 rib" thru late '73. Then thru '75, case has 5 ribs. '76 on have 6 ribs. See which case it is. The bigger question is what ratios they installed. Since 1600 engines were common in non-US markets, the ratios they used might be "correct" for your engine.

All the IRS Buses used the same CV joints.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

Reply to
ze fuhrer