Conversion from generator to alternator - who makes a good kit?

My 72 SB has a junk generator, so we made the decision to swap to an alternator...I've been looking at different kits from SoCal and Mid- America. I wasn't real impressed with the Mid-America kit as the instructions for it were reprinted 74-75 alternator install instructions.

Who makes a good kit or at least an easy-to-install one?

Do you keep your external reg or do you wire around it?

Thanks for any help...

Mitch :)

Reply to
barnhart_pinball

Follow this link. It should answer any questions ya might ever ask.

Michael Rogers

I use an internally regulater alternator when I convert, all you need is the stand, and a wire straight from the speedo warning light. You discard the old regulator. It would not work with an externally regulated alternator either, since an alt regulator is different from a gen regulator.

Reply to
Jan Andersson

The kits have difficulty making complete instructions because the application differs quite a bit year-to-year.

Strongly recommend reading this very complete write-up about the conversion:

His engine is same as your '72 and the difficulty will be similar. If you're up for it, it's much easier to pull the engine in order to get the fan shroud raised.

Brief article on my web site about the wiring changes:

old generator regulator (under back seat) getsremoved and the splices shown on my sketch "wire around" it.
a number of kits similar to the others you looked at.Search: Alternator

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

This guy is honest. Alternator Conversion Kit Price: $ 259.95 Part #: LCH0003 Kit includes all pieces necessary to convert to a 12V alternator charging system. Includes alternator stand, alternator, backing plates, and alternator strap. Unlike some other stores, we do not send Chinese alternators, only GENUINE BOSCH!

---------------------------

--------------------------
Bosch Alternator, 200 MPH Strap, Alternator Stand, Inner FanCover, Fan Cover, Flange, and OEM Pulley. This is where I got mine over 10 years ago. Looks to be the same as what aircooled.net sells. -------------------------- Also you may need to view these links:

REPLACING GENERATOR WITH ALTERNATOR IN A TYPE I

If you get the Bosch alternator kit I do not think you need to be concerned about this.

Jim347a

IIRC Parts needed: Alternator (1-wire preferred) Alternator stand and gasket V-Belt for Alternator Alt-style Fuel pump and matching pushrod Carb (or accelerator pump rod/lever will need to be modified or possibly flipped over) and gasket

This can be done without removing the engine! Hardest part is taking off the "front" nut of the generator/fan. ;-)

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1