Convert '73 bus to fuel injection?

I've got a '73 camper with a blown motor, and a donor 1800 engine from a '76. I've been counseled to keep the fuel injection on the 1800 and do the necessary modifications to my camper body to fit FI, but I'm having a hard time finding much information on what those mods might be... has anyone done this before? I'd be happy getting everything in and connected, then taking it to a mechanic for tuning, etc.

One thing I've been told to do before I install the new engine is to go through the firewall and install a fuel return into the gas tank (into one of the breather tubes). I've done some mucking around with biodiesel setups and when I've needed return lines in those situations, we put them into the fuel send line, instead of going all the way back to the tank. Is there a reason *not* to install the new fuel return line into the fuel send? it's all going into the same loop - right?

Anyway - any pointers to information on this conversion - or any vehement urgings to just go with the nice 2 barrel weber that's on the blown motor - would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks! Elijah Smith

Reply to
Elijah Smith

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. That hasn't been a very popular swap , so dredging up details isn't easy anymore.

I'm leery about just putting a TEE in the supply line to accept the return flow. Seems like VW would have done it if it would have saved a port on the tank...

Mods? Hmmm Need to mount the elec fuel pump. Mount the air cleaner and airflow meter. Find a spot for the ECU and mount. I would replace every inch of fuel line, including the stubs at the injectors before installing. After a qtr-century they tend to get brittle.

One "gotcha" : the flywheel won't fit. You could swap the bellhousings if you're getting the whole '76 Bus. But better, I think, would be to swap flywheels. Less work, plus you get the opportunity to replace the crank oil seal. Double check the crank endplay (shims) with the new flywheel.

Whilst the flywheel is off, peen the case metal over the oil gallery plugs so they don't fall out. (You could also drill them out and tap the case for threaded plugs...)

Make sure you get *every* piece of the wiring and engine accessories. Carefully inspect all the rubber parts on the intake system for cracks and loose parts.

Good luck. I really like the Bus FI, but you may be in for some heartaches before you're done.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

I happened to think later- '76 should be a 2000cc engine.

And '73 was the last of the "high ratio" (numeric) trannies. The 2000cc isn't really a good match with that tranny for highway driving. If you can, grab the '76 tranny along with the engine (it's a better-built tranny anyway). This applies whether you keep the FI or make it carby.

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Reply to
ilambert