Convert a pre-1998 Beetle to electric drive

That is, remove the air-cooled internal combustion engine and replace with an electric drive motor, battery pack, charger, and associated controls.

Anybody ever done it? What were the results? Are there sources for conversion kits?

Reply to
Papa

GOOGLE: VW ELECTRIC CONVERSION

1 million + hits

Speedy Jim

"I have no use for a car which has more spark plugs than a cow has teats!" Henry Ford, when advised that Chevrolet was introducing a 6-cylinder engine.

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Lots of resources out there. I recall some electric Bugs from the seventies. Bradley had a motor that hooked right up to the VW transmission for their GTII-e kit car.

For the stock VW bug body storage was an issue. The back seat area had to be modified to fit batteries (and sealed and vented) and the front (trunk) had to be cut out and a flat platform welded in for more plus the charger. Front/rear weight distribution was problematic.

Battery technology has improved tremendously so you might have better outcomes today.

Heck, A few Bugs were even wood fire powered (using the gas from the wood) during WWII.

Reply to
JJ

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

Speaking of the VW history (and wood-burning models:-)

For those history buffs out there who may not have browsed these sites:

Kubels:
(in German)
Many great articles:

This one on the founder of the gas heater used in VW's is priceless:

Speedy Jim

Wow! I got to get me one of those! 0-60 in 4 seconds must be like riding a rocket sled. A little too pricey at the moment though.

Reply to
Rev Turd Fredericks

I love that car! Now if my wife wins the lottery, we're all set. ;>)

They may have built a concept electric car, but AFAIK never a production version.

Reply to
Papa

Thanks for the rundown.

Reply to