Convert LHD narrowed front beam to RHD, question?

I'm sorry of this topic has been brought up before, but I searched Google groups for this and couldn't find any reference.

I have access to a CB Performance 2-inch narrowed LHD adjustable ball-joint front axle in good shape, but my '75 Type 1 is a RHD (1200LS).

I'm pretty sure the axle can be converted to fit a RHD by removing and rewelding the steering damper mount to the opposite side. I'm reusing my RHD steering box and other parts where I can.

My questions is w/ the tie rods... can I use the shortened LHD tie rods and ends by just switching them around? Or do I need to find someone who can cut my RHD tie rods down by one inch each?

Has anyone heard of this conversion being done before?

AshMan

Reply to
AshMan

There have been several threads on theSamba.com dealing with LHDRHD conversion. I'd PM the guys that started those threads to see what they've learned.

Remco

Reply to
Remco

Thanks Remco.

After a little reading thru TheSamba.com's Forums I've gleamed the following (transposed from different threads):

- Converting the front torsion beam from LHD to RHD is fairly straight forward: Move the steering damper mount to the other side and optionally add mount area for steering box to "grab onto" so it doesn't slide around.

- The length of the tie rods are different. Since the steering box is the same for both LHD & RHD, and the steering shaft connects to the left side of both, the mount point on the RH side would not be a perfect mirror of the LH side. This means the tie rods would need to be different lengths. It may be possible to use the LHD tie rods, but they may need to be adjusted out to the very limits. Or I could have my RHD tie rods cut down and tapped.

- LHD pitman arm may be reversed, drilled out and bump steer kit installed to allow use on RH side.

So in the end, it looks like it is quite possible, I just need to find a shop to do the mods to the torsion beam.

AshMan

Reply to
AshMan

Glad you found something you could use. TheSamba is quite a good VW resource, just as RAMVA (here) is.

I'd ask there - there might be someone on theSamba that can help you find a shop.

Remco

Reply to
Remco