correct metal fuel lines

Hello,

I am trying to figure out which are the correct metal fuel lines for my engine. I have some kind of worn out copper crap that is in desparate need of replacement. This is going on 64 T1 now with DP 1600 engine. The only place that carries them which i know of is wolfsburg west. I am looking for the following lines:

1) Chassis to fuel pump there are quite a few and the ones that seem to be most suitable are:
?ID=113127521A
however I am still puzzled which one exactly that I need, lack of original ones is not helping :(

2) Fuel pump to carb.

?ID=113127511A As you can see there are quite a few options and I am kind of lost. Which ones are the ones for me?

And another thing, it's a quite a span between the tube coming out of the chassis and the firewall tin of the engine, is that span supposed to be covered with the rubber hose or another metal line?

Thanks as always, Anton

Reply to
anton

I'd call John at Aircooled.net - he has them as well and can probably help you. That's where I got my fuel line.

Remco

Reply to
Remco

Don't forget to use Bob Hoover's trick to eliminate the grommet that goes through the rear tin that wears thru and eventually the metal and leaks. He used a part from a lamp connection, washers and accompanying nuts to form a passageway through. Fill with RTV when you put the metal line thru and no problem. The lamp part is hollow threaded rod that holds lamp parts together. All you need is an inch or two. The bulb socket screws on it. Just cut a piece from an old lamp and scavenge the washers and nuts too. You can also find them at Home Despot and Blowes. I have done it on the 62 Ghia and

Reply to
Eric

hmmm i know this is one thing that i have to do on my bug ... someone yanked the fuel tank out .. and ended up damaging the exsisting fuel line ... i guess it would be best for me to run a completly new one ... instead of using a peice of rubber line to jump from the bottom of the tank to what is left of the line before it goes into the chassis pan ...

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@73g2000cwn.googlegroups.com...

Reply to
Flea

Mine line had a spot weld on the line inside the tunnel and went through the trouble of finding the spotweld and cutting it. That may not have been necessary in retrospect. My body is off the frame so it was easy to do.

On theSamba.com there are several descriptions on how to replace the fuel line but the best I've heard of was by Bill May: he just yanks the old one out, regardless of whether the line wants to come all the way out or not. Then he just snakes the new line back in.

Out of curiosity, I've tried snaking the new line back in as if my body was still on the pan: If you have an electrical snake (a tool consisting of a long flat rolled up piece of spring steel) it may make your life easier, especially if the body is still on the pan. Feed a pull wire with the snake from the rear to the transmission coupling hole in the tunnel. Do the same from the frame head. Use the pull wires to feed the line from forward to the back - I tried it and it worked well.

Remco

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@73g2000cwn.googlegroups.com...

Reply to
Remco

Hi All,

I am happy to report that my fuel lines are replaced (not the one in the tunnel). Fuel filter is relocated between tunel and fuel pump. And rear tin grommet is replaced with bulkhead fitting (per Bob Hoover's instructions). Had a leak due to wrong size of the fuel hose, fixed now.

I feel a little safer now. :)

Thank you all, Anton

P.S. Happy new year.